It’s probably happened to you before. You were in the shower and you had so many fabulous ideas, but now that you’re at your desk you can’t remember anything you thought about. It doesn’t matter if you’re 12 or 75 - if you want to leverage creative inspiration, you’re going to have to be intentional about it.
* Record Everything – When you are thinking about a good idea, it’s important to find a way to record it so you don’t forget. One method that some people use is to get a small recorder. Some phones can be used as a place to record your ideas and inspiration by voice, or by using the stylus and writing on a notepad. The important thing is to get the ideas down so you cannot forget them.
* Organize the Thoughts – Once you write something down, you can go in at any time and organize those ideas into more cohesive and complete thoughts. You can chunk things up into like ideas, expensive ideas, doable ideas and however you want to do it, so that you can start making implementation plans.
* Trust Yourself – As you are going through the ideas you recorded while you were inspired, now that you’re looking at it with more critical eyes, it’s important to maintain your excitement and enthusiasm. Trust yourself that you understand your goals and what you want to accomplish so that you can get out of the box and think more creatively.
* Practice Creativity – The more times throughout the day that you find a way to be creative, the more your brain will start wanting to be creative. Try to find a way to be creative each day - whether that’s how you set the kitchen table for dinner or how you organize your files for completing a project.
* Change Scenery – Inspiration sometimes needs a change a scene to be more effective. If you’re having trouble figuring things out, go for a walk, go look at nature, or do something new, and you’ll find that your motivation comes back.
After you are done collecting everything that inspires you, at some point you will have to narrow things down to choose. But you don’t have to focus on that until you have it all in front of you. Then you can start the editing process.
Don’t miss the next article because we’re going to talk about an important and creative solution to problem solving in a visual manner using mind maps.