WESTFIELD, NJ — The Westfield Public School District will be registering children who will become eligible for kindergarten in the 2019-20 academic year. The district also is interested in reaching children who have not attended the Westfield Public Schools for kindergarten but will enter first grade in the fall.
“It is very helpful for the District to have this information so that we may effectively plan for every new child,” stated Superintendent of Schools Margaret Dolan. “We look forward to welcoming our new young learners.”
Kindergarten Registration for all children who are residents of Westfield, reaching the age of 5 on or before Oct. 1, 2019, will be held at Lincoln School, 728 Westfield Ave.
Lincoln School is the centralized kindergarten location for the Westfield Public Schools. Parents may register children eligible for kindergarten on the dates and during the times indicated below by first calling 908-789-4455 for an appointment.
Daytime appointments will be:
- Monday, Jan. 7 9:15 - 11:15 a.m.
- Tuesday, Jan. 8 9:15 - 11:15 a.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 10 9:15 - 11:15 a.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 16 1 - 3 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 17 1 - 3 p.m.
- Friday, Jan. 18 1 - 3 p.m.
- Monday, Jan. 28 9:15 – 11:15 a.m.
- Tuesday, Jan. 29 9:15 – 11:15 a.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 30 9:15 – 11:15 a.m.
Kindergarten evening appointments will be:
Wednesday, Jan. 23, 6 – 8 p.m. and Thursday, Jan. 24, 6 – 8 p.m.
First Grade registrations for all children, who are residents of Westfield reaching the age of 6 on or before Oct. 1, 2019 and have not yet attended the Westfield Public Schools is as follows:
- Franklin School (908-789-4591) - Tuesday, Jan. 15 & Wednesday, January 16, 8 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- Jefferson School (908-789-4490) - Tuesday, Jan. 15 & Wednesday, January 16, 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- McKinley School (908-789-4555) - Thursday, Jan. 24, 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Tamaques School (908-789-4580) - Thursday, Jan. 17, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Washington School (908-789-4600) - Tuesday, Jan. 15, 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Wilson School (908-789-4605) - Tuesday, Jan. 22, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Evening appointments to register first graders who are new to the Westfield Public Schools will be held Tuesday, Jan, 22, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. (for all schools) in the Administration Building, 302 Elm St., Room 106 (first floor). Please call 908-789-4420 for an evening appointment at Elm Street.
All new students will be required to have the following information for registration in the Westfield Public Schools:
- Birth certificate with raised seal from the Bureau of Vital Statistics;
- Two proofs of residency documents such as a copy of a recorded deed, tax bill, mortgage statement or fully executed copy of lease agreement, along with a current utility statement or any other documentation that shows that the student seeking to be enrolled maintains his or her permanent home within the Town of Westfield;
- Personal Health History; and
- Proof of Immunization (most recent record), which includes:
- Diphtheria, Pertussis and Tetanus vaccine (DPT Series) – 4 doses with 1 dose given on or after the fourth birthday, or any total of 5 doses.
- Poliomyelitis vaccine – 3 doses of inactivated polio vaccine (IPV), with 1 dose given on or after the fourth birthday, or any 4 doses spaced by a minimum of 1 month.
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubeola) – 2 doses OR
- Rubeola (Measles) vaccine – 2 doses given on or after the first birthday separated by at least a month.
- Rubella (German Measles) vaccine – 1 dose given on or after the first birthday.
- Mumps vaccine: one dose given on or after the first birthday.
- Hepatitis B vaccine: three doses.
- Varicella vaccine — one dose of varicella vaccine on or after the first birthday or proof of disease or immunity upon entering Kindergarten or Grade 1.
Only one entry physical examination is necessary on admission to kindergarten or first grade (pre-K physical may be the entry physical). A 5-year physical exam is recommended.
For pre-Kindergarten Students age 3 or older, a physical exam and Personal Health History form must be presented, and the above immunizations record (age appropriate) including:
Pneumococcal Vaccine – age 12 – 59 months, one dose after first birthday.
Current Seasonal Influenza Vaccine – age 6 – 59 months, 1 dose to be given between September 1 and December 31 of each year in pre-school; and
- Haemophilis B – age 12-59 months, one dose after first birthday.
- State law will not permit any child to be admitted to a public school unless immunizations have been completed and documented by an M.D., D.O., or Nurse Practitioner, specifically indicating a day, month and year administered.
Registration, Personal Health History, Physical Exam and Medical Records forms are available on the district website at www.westfieldnjk12.org. They are located on the Family Resources tab under the “Student Registration” and should be printed and completed before the scheduled registration date. These forms are also available by calling one of the schools.
Parents have questions about the registration process may call one of the Westfield Public Schools. In the event of a delayed opening or school closing due to inclement weather, registration for that day will be rescheduled.