Depending on when you’re reading this, we’re mere days or even hours before the end of 2017. And, pretty soon, we’ll all be lamenting over how fast 2018 is passing, no doubt. But, before we start taking down the old calendars and putting up new ones, let’s look at some news from South Plainfield Library:
First of all, we’ll be closed on Sunday, Dec. 31st, for New Year’s Eve and on Monday, January 1st, for New Year’s Day. We’ll re-open on Tuesday, January 2nd, at 10AM.
We’ll follow a modified schedule of children’s programs next week, with a cancellation and a couple of additions. Let’s run down that schedule for you:
- The Monday “LEGO Builders Club” program has been cancelled, since we’ll be closed. The Thursday session will be held, as usual, on Thursday afternoon at 3:00. We’ll also hold our informal meeting for homeschooling parents at 3:00.
- The “Storytime” program, for children age 3 & over, will be held on Tuesday morning at 10:30, Wednesday evening at 6:30 and Thursday afternoon at 1:15.
- Right after “Storytime” on Tuesday, we’ll have our “Puzzle & Game Playtime” program, starting at 11:30. And, starting next week, we’re adding a second “Playtime” program on Thursday morning, also at 11:30.
- “Toddler Time”, for children age 2 & 3, will be held on Wednesday and Thursday mornings at 10:30.
- “Babytime: NotWalking”, for children age 2 & under who can’t walk on their own, will be held on Friday morning at 10:15. It’ll be followed by “Babytime: YesWalking”, for children age 2 & under who can walk on their own, at 11:15.
- On Friday afternoon at 3:00, we’ll have another “Family Game Time” for all ages. You can play one of our board games, or bring one of your own. The program only runs until 5:00, so marathon Monopoly games should be avoided.
- And on Saturday morning at 10:30, we’ll have our “Saturday Storytime” program for all ages.
All of these programs are presented free of charge, and no pre-registration is needed. For more information, please call us and ask for the Children’s Room. (See below for the number.)
Moving on to the adult programs, the Monday closing means that the Job Search Training sessions and the Monday ESL Conversation group have been cancelled. The Tuesday ESL group will meet on Tuesday afternoon at their usual time of 1:00.
The Monday closing also means we won’t be showing both our “Monday Night Movie” and the “Wednesday Afternoon Movie” presentations. Those showings will return the following week, when we’ll kick off the year with a fact-based World War II drama starring Kenneth Branagh, and written & directed by Christopher Nolan. In the meantime, feel free to borrow one of our large collection of DVDs to set up your own substitute “Monday Night Movie”. (You’ll have to provide your own popcorn, but that’s the way it goes.)
The “Mystery Book Club” will meet on Wednesday afternoon at 4:00. They’ll be discussing “The Sign of Four” by Arthur Conan Doyle. No pre-registration is required; deerstalkers are optional.
We have some space to look ahead at an upcoming program. On Thursday evening, January 11th, we’ll be hosting a program on home ownership at 7:00. Michael Crismali of Alterra Home Loans will be talking about the home buying process, as well as common misconceptions about mortgages. The program is being presented free, but pre-registration is requested.
And here’s a quick reminder: while we do our best to keep our collection in good, usable shape, things do tend to wear out or get damaged. If you borrow an item and find that it has a problem (poor picture on a DVD, pages falling out of a book, etc.), please be sure to let us know when you return it. We’ll do our best to fix it right away. We appreciate your help with this.
That’s about all for now. For more information, you can call us at (908) 754-7885, check our website at www.southplainfield.lib.nj.us, pay a visit to our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/southplainfieldlibrary, or you can check out our newly-installed, reasonably-fancy sign/message board just outside the building. Or, you could just stop by and ask us, if you wish. Thanks very much for your attention, and please drive carefully this Holiday weekend.
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.