Well, it’s going to be another few days before the kids come down from the sugar rush of Halloween, and the candidates sit down and await the returns. While you’re waiting for those moments of calm, why not pass the time with news from South Plainfield Library?
First of all, you probably know that Ms. Jackie from our Children’s Dept. had her last official day with us last Friday. However, she’ll be around here Friday afternoon (Nov. 2nd) from 2:30-5:30. Please stop by to wish her well on her new job at Woodbridge Library (those lucky so-and-sos).
Next, please be aware that we will be open on Election Day (that’s Tuesday, November 6th). Please feel free to stop by and do some research before casting your vote.
And, on a far less important note, our Notary Public will be unavailable on Friday.
Turning to our Children’s schedule for the coming week:
- We’re starting up a new Saturday morning “Babytime” program. It’s starts at 10 and is for children age 2 & under.
- Our Spanish “Storytime” program with Ms. Jailene will be held on Monday evening at 6:30 in the Children’s Room.
- Our regular “Storytime” program, for children age 3 & over, will only be held on Tuesday morning at 10:30 this week. The Wednesday program has been cancelled that night.
- Our “Puzzles & Games Playtime” program, also for kids age 3 & over, will be held on Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 11:30.
- With the schools closed for Election Day, we’ll be showing a special children’s movie on Tuesday afternoon at 12:30. No pre-registration is required. Please call for title and content information. We can say that it’s the latest feature from the creators of Wallace & Gromit. Please bring your own Wensleydale.
- The next meeting of the “Easy Reader Book Club”, for children age 6-8, is set for Tuesday afternoon at 5:00. You can stop by the Circulation Desk for a copy of this week’s book. No pre-registration is needed.
- “Toddler Time”, for children age 2 & 3, will be held on Wednesday and Thursday mornings at 10:30.
- The LEGO Builders Club will meet on Thursday afternoon at 3:30. You don’t need to pre-register, and we’ll provide the materials.
- Also on Thursday afternoon at 3:30, we’ll have our next Italian “Storytime” with Ms. Maria in the Children’s Room.
- Our Friday “Babytime” programs, for children age 2 & under, will be held on Friday morning at, respectively, 10:15 and 11:15.
- And we’ve got a special children’s program on Friday afternoon at 3:30. Ms. Mija will demonstrate good dental health and show pre-schoolers how to floss properly.
Moving on to the programs for the older and not-so-older folks:
- We have a lecture scheduled for Saturday afternoon (November 3rd) at 2:00. Pianist/singer/narrator Fred Miller will be talking and singing about American popular music and culture from 1957-1964. Pre-registration is required for this program.
- And on the following Sunday afternoon, we’ll be hosting the program “Tea Time: Celebrating the Harvest Season” at 2:00. Tea expert/historian Judith Krall-Russo will be talking about Harvest traditions. Tea and other refreshments will be served. Space is limited, so pre-registration is required.
- Our English Conversation Groups will be meeting on Monday morning at 10:30, Thursday afternoon at 1:00, and on Thursday evening at 7:00. (Yes, we’ve added a third group; that’s how popular these are.) They’re for new English speakers who want to practice their conversation skills in a group setting.
- The Job Search Skills Coaching sessions, provided by Professional Service Group of New Brunswick, will be available on Monday afternoon from 1:00-4:00. These one-on-one sessions are by appointment only, so you must call ahead.
- Our Homeschooling Support Group will meet on Monday afternoon from 3:00-4:00. You don’t need to pre-register for this meeting.
- Or next “Monday Night Movie” will be shown on Monday night at 6:30. It’s being shown free of charge, you don’t need to pre-register, and we’ll provide the popcorn. If you miss the Monday unreeling, we’ll be showing it again on Wednesday afternoon at 12:30. Just like the previously-noted kids’ movie, please call us for title & content information. We can say that it’s this year’s sequel to the 2008 musical rom-com featuring the music of ABBA. At present, we’re not planning on providing lyric sheets.
We have room this week for an advisory. We know that people will leave their children here unattended, or they’ll drop off an adult patron for later pick-up. In these cases, we ask that you please be aware of our operating hours for the day. If you’re going to give someone a ride home, please be sure to be here well before we close. Library staff are not permitted to provide transportation to patrons, and we can’t expect our staff to wait around after closing for someone’s ride to appear. In such an event, we will contact the South Plainfield Police and request their assistance. As always, we greatly appreciate your help on these and similar matters.
That’s about all for now. If you have any questions or comments, please call us at (908) 754-7885 and we’ll connect you with a someone who can help. For more information, you can also check our website at www.southplainfield.lib.nj.us or our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/southplainfieldlibrary. Thanks for reading; catch you later.