Hello, all! As the state begins to open back up, the South Plainfield Public Library is working to provide everyone with materials and services. Please make sure to check the website at southplainfield.lib.nj.us or our Facebook page for the most up-to-date information.
Curbside pickup started July 1. If you are a South Plainfield resident with a South Plainfield library card, you can go on to the online catalog and request your books, DVDs, and other materials. Only items from South Plainfield Public Library can be requested; the delivery system between libraries is currently suspended. If you are an out-of-town resident, you can still request materials from the library; you would have to send your request to email@example.com (for adults) or firstname.lastname@example.org (for children/teens) and include your full name and library card number/address and phone number. There are also Google forms to fill out to request books if you don’t have specific titles in mind. All the information is on our website (southplainfield.lib.nj.us/curbside.htm), and there are also written and video tutorials to help guide you in this process. All items can be picked up Monday through Friday 10:15 AM to 6 PM and Saturday 9:15 AM to 1 PM, and staff will contact you when your items are ready to be picked up. Any items you are returning must be put through the outdoor book and DVD return slots.
The South Plainfield Public Library is still having Summer Reading this year! It looks a little different this year, but don’t worry, you will still get prizes! Summer Reading registration began June 22, but you can register all the way to the end, which is Friday, August 28. You would register and record all books read online through ReadSquared (sppl.readsquared.com/). There is a picture book program and a chapter book program, depending on your child(ren)’s reading ability. All reading materials are counted (yes, even e-books!). Check out the South Plainfield Public Library’s Summer Reading page on our website for further information and instructions on how to get started: southplainfield.lib.nj.us/SRC2020.htm.
We will be continuing virtual programming for July. Storytimes for ages 2 to 4 on Zoom are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 10:30 AM. Evening storytime for ages 4 and up on Zoom is Wednesday at 6:30 PM. Babytime for ages under 2 on Zoom is Friday at 10:15 AM. Chinese Bilingual Storytime is presented on Zoom in both Mandarin and English on Monday at 10:30 AM; you do not need to know Mandarin in order to enjoy this storytime. Korean Storytime with Ms. Park is on Zoom on Monday at 2 PM. Chinese Language Bookclub for children in first grade and up meets on Zoom on Tuesday at 1:30 PM; you must know some Mandarin for this program. Spanish Storytime with Ms. Jailene can be found on our YouTube channel. If you are interested in joining any of these Zoom programs, please go to our website at southplainfield.lib.nj.us for registration information.
Here are some other Zoom programs for the week:
Monday, July 6:
- Mommy (or Daddy) & Me Kung Fu for ages 5 and up at 4:30 PM
- ESL for adults at 8 PM
Tuesday, July 7:
- Hip Hop Dance Class for ages 6 to 9 at 5:45 PM
Wednesday, July 8:
- Yoga for ages 5 to 10 at 3 PM
- Tween Time: Pictionary for ages 8 and up at 4 PM
Thursday, July 9:
- Math Club for ages 7 to 9 at 9:45 AM
- Zumba for ages 6 to 9 at 4:30 PM
- Let’s Learn Spanish with Ms. Jailene at 6:30 PM
- Don’t forget to submit your Lego pictures to Ms. Kitty between 10 AM and 2 PM
Friday, July 10:
- Simple Snacks: Kitchen Creativity with Ms. Mija for ages 5 to 8 at 3 PM; she will be showing you how to make milkshakes!
- Don’t forget to submit your gardening pictures to Ms. Audrey by 6 PM
Saturday, July 11:
- Propbox Players Virtual Theatre for ages 3 to 8 presents “Paperbag Prince & Princess” at 11 AM
If you would like to register for these Zoom programs, please go to our website at southplainfield.lib.nj.us for registration instructions. It will let you know when you go to register if the class is full. All programs are listed on the website as well, so always check there for a comprehensive list or if there are any changes to the schedule.
If you are looking for information on the coronavirus COVID-19, here are some resources at the federal, state, and local levels:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) at www.cdc.gov or more specifically www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCov/
- The official site of the state of New Jersey at https://covid19.nj.gov/
- For general COVID-19 questions, call 2-1-1; for medical COVID-19 questions, call 1-800-962-1253 (24/7). You can also text NJCOVID to 898-211 to receive alerts.
- Middlesex County at www.middlesexcountynj.gov or more specifically www.discovermiddlesex.com/covid19/
- The Borough of South Plainfield Facebook page posts updates about the town, county, and state.
Stay safe and healthy, and hopefully we will be seeing everyone soon!