May 22 is Buy a Musical Instrument Day and in today’s climate, most of us have some time to take up a new hobby like learning a new instrument and/or creating our own music. These days, there is also plenty of time to introduce your little ones to songs and music genres you like and to help them find their inner musician. And, right now, while you cannot just walk into a store to purchase a new instrument, you can order one online. In addition, there are many online opportunities for musical instruction.
Below are links to some music- and instrument-related sites for your kids, courtesy of The Goddard School in West Orange’s, “Things to Do with Kids” column.
- Check out these free online music lessons for kids from makingmusicfun.net
- Musiciansfriend.com is a discount site for buying musical instruments for kids
- Here are some free online music-making apps for kids from funtothink.com
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY
The next time you sit down for a family dinner, toss out some of these facts to spark a lively and informative family conversation. After dinner, look up some of these dates and facts and explore the historical moments as a family.
- The Hubble Space Telescope transmitted photographs from space on May 20, 1990.
- The American Red Cross was formed on May 21, 1881.
- Former Vice President Aaron Burr was tried and acquitted for treason on May 22, 1807.
- The Great Train Robbery happened on May 22, 1868.
- The first reported sighting of the Loch Ness Monster happened on May 22, 1933.
- "Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood" debuted on May 22, 1967.
- Bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde Barrow were shot to death in a police ambush in Louisiana on May 23, 1934.
- The nursery rhyme, "Mary Had a Little Lamb," was written by Mary Hale on May 24, 1830.
- Ford ceased production of the Model "T" on May 25, 1927.
- "Star Wars" was released on May 25, 1978.
- Michael Jackson married Elvis Presley's daughter Lisa Marie Presley on May 26, 1994.