GLEN ROCK, NJ – In the coming months – as New Jersey continues to reopen following the pandemic – Glen Rockers will have a number of events to look forward to.
During the Glen Rock Arts Council’s first-ever virtual meeting on Tuesday, the non-profit unveiled its slate of events for the next two years, which range from film festivals to outdoor concerts to art shows to virtual performances.
Amy Martin, the council’s co-founder and co-president, said, “We’re very excited.”
"We want to knock these events out of the park,” she added.
Martin, also the Borough Council's president, announced the lineup of events at Wednesday's virtual council meeting.
"We had a great, great night," Martin said of the Arts Council virtual meeting. "The people involved are so enthusiastic. The [Arts] Council has really taken off."
Formed in January 2019, the council seeks to promote and celebrate all forms of art happening in the borough. The council has about 50 members and some of the upcoming event ideas were suggested by the membership, Martin said.
All events are still in the planning stages and Martin said, “We’d love for people to become involved.”
Anyone interested in helping should take this survey.
- Fall 2020 – “One Community 2020,” A virtual, multi-performer show inspired by the televised event “One World: Together At Home.” The council’s webcast fundraiser will feature Glen Rock musicians and vocalists live-streamed on Facebook (or pre-taped) and possibly aired on GRTV.
- Winter 2021 – Annual Film Festival, featuring an hour of award-winning short films from the Black Maria Film Festival’s tour and Q&A sessions with filmmakers.
- Spring 2021 – Glen Rock Dances, a family-friendly dance event in a local park featuring a blend of performances by local dance schools, dance lovers, multicultural groups and professional choreographers. Some activities could also include instructional dance for attendees.
- Summer 2021 – Outdoor concert/art show, an evening of music, art and food in town.
- Fall 2021 – “Tableau Vivant,” inspired by the Laguna Beach event “Living Art,” which seeks to recreate classic paintings or historical events using real people and stage props. The council would invite various groups in Glen Rock to participate.
- Winter 2022 – Annual Film Festival
- Spring 2022 – Rock Road Gala, described as a “whimsical, offbeat” event for adults, is an event the council hopes will become its annual fundraising event. The “immersive art and dining experience” would be held on a stretch of Rock Road and feature local restaurants.
- Summer 2022 – Annual outdoor concert/art show