NEW JERSEY - Happy Leap Day! It is February 29 and if any New Jersey residents were born today there are plenty of freebies leapers can take advantage of. Ski lovers can get a free lift ticket at the American Dream's Big Snow as well as at Mountain Creek in Vernon. Leaplings must bring identification though to take advantage. Other places around the Garden State are also offering up freebies for leapers who only get to celebrate their birthdays on the actual day they were born every four years. Here's a list of some go-to spots to celebrate:
- Free entrées are on the menu for anyone born today at Applebee's, Quaker Steak & Lube and Chevys Fresh Mex. Leapers must have ID to show date of birth.
- Parents of any babies born today can snag free Krispy Kreme doughnuts for any little ones born on February 29, 2020. This includes the hospital and staff if it is located within 10 miles of a Krispy Kreme store. To take part, the parents or hospital staff should post and tag @KrispyKreme using the hashtag #KrispyKremeSpecialDelivery.
- Leapers can get a free go-kart race at RPM Racing in Jersey City.
- Get two free flights at iFly Indoor Skydiving in Paramus today and tomorrow. Participants must be 40 inches tall. Non leapers can get a 29 percent discount today too.
- Head to Olive Garden for four free Dolcinis. A Dolcinis is a dessert made of mousse, pastry, creams, berries and of course cake. Take-home entrées that are typically $5 are $2.29 for leapers and non-leapers.
- Enjoy a Grand Slam breakfast at Denny's for free today with a valid ID.
- Houlihan's is offering $2.29 Moscow mules for all today.
- 7-Eleven is dishing out $2.29 pizzas at participating stores.
- For any ladies that are interested in proposing today, Shannon Rose in Ramsey and Clinton is serving free food for a year to any gal that proposes at either location on February 29. The free food is for one meal per person each month for a calendar year.
Leap Day only happens once every four years and was instituted by Julius Caesar in order to keep the calendar aligned with the solar calendar. Four million people around the globe were born on Leap Day. People born on February 29 are called leapers or leaplings. So who are some famous folks who are also leapers? Famous people born today according to Biography.com include:
- Antonio Sabato Jr.
- Richard Ramirez
- Ja Rule
- Tony Robbins
- Aileen Wuornos
- Dinah Shore
- Jimmy Dorsey
- Gioachino Rossini
Superstitious people in Greece do not get married in a Leap Year because it is thought to be bad luck. However, in Ireland February 29 is considered Bachelor's Day where a woman can propose. The 2010 romantic comedy "Leap Year" starring Amy Adams takes on that tradition with Adams' character following her guy to Dublin to pop the question since he's failed to do so. Spoiler; she ends up falling for the hotter Irish guy and lives happily ever after!
Happy Leap Day!