BERNARDS TWP., NJ - The return date for a legal action filed by Millington Quarry to halt meetings of a Quarry Advisory task force formed at the beginning of this year has reportedly been set for Monday, April 29.
In response to an earlier email, Bernards Mayor Carol Bianchi said last week that a court date of 9 a.m. on April 29 has been set for the township to answer the latest legal dispute regarding discussions for ideas about the future of the 180-acre defunct quarry property off Stonehouse Road.
An original return court date on a lawsuit filed by Millington Quarry against Bernards Township was set for late March, but was rescheduled for the township to answer a lawsuit filed on March 13 by Millington Quarry, Inc. (MQI) that seeks to disband the newly formed Bernards Township Quarry Advisory Task Force created by Bianchi early this year. The hearing will be held before State Judge Thomas C. Miller in the courthouse at 20 N. Bridge St. in Somerville.
The Millington Quarry's legal motion objects to the task force as having no legal right to provide input on quarry matters, with the lawsuit pointing to a 2014 settlement with the township that gave authority specifically to an oversight committee to address any issues pertaining to the quarry. The oversight committee is no longer in place.
However, township officials have said that the Quarry advisory task force _ which has continued to meet _ would along with the other advisory groups created would bring any information it received back to the Bernards Township Committee.
Many residents have been following the lawsuit and other news of the quarry's future, including members of the Stop the Quarry Plan citizens' group.