UNION COUNTY, NJ – Union is set to receive a 2019 Infrastructure grant from the county earmarked for the Phase II Fairway Drive Road Program.
Union will receive $90,000 for the project. All 21 municipalities in the county received grant money. This is the fifth year of the Infrastructure Grant program, said Freeholder Chair Bette Jane Kowalski. Funding for the annual grants comes from the sale of Runnells Specialized Hospital, which was sold by the county for $26 million in 2014.
“When you give municipalities an opportunity to invest in their roads and their downtowns, they will have the best and most innovative ideas,” said Freeholder Christopher Hudak, who presented the checks along with Kowalski.
The grants totaled $1.5 million this year. Each municipality matches the amount provided in the grant dollar-for-dollar, Hudak said. Over the last five years, the county has issued $7.7 million in grants, Hudak said, resulting in a five-year total of $15.4 million in infrastructure improvements.
The amounts provided to all of the county municipalities and descriptions of how the money will be used in each, are as follows:
- Berkeley Heights – $55,000 for Miscellaneous Drainage Improvements
- Clark – $50,000 for Road Improvements
- Cranford – $92,500 for Paving Program
- Elizabeth – $125,000 for Marciante-Jackson-Millet Park Improvements
- Fanwood – $55,000 for Roadway Improvements for Stewart and Ginder
- Garwood – $40,000 for Municipal Facilities Repairs
- Hillside – $55,000 for Orchard Terrace Drainage Improvements
- Kenilworth – $65,000 for Borough Hall Safety and Security Improvements
- Linden – $100,000 for Resurfacing of Cranford Avenue
- Mountainside – $50,000 for Resurfacing of Partridge Run
- New Providence – $55,000 for 2019 Sidewalk Project
- Plainfield – $100,000 for Woodland Avenue Roadway Improvement
- Rahway – $85,000 for 2019 Road Resurfacing Project
- Roselle – $60,000 for Roadway Improvements Project
- Roselle Park – $55,000 for Improvements to Filbert Street
- Scotch Plains – $100,000 for Roadwork Assistance Program
- Springfield – $57,500 for Improvements to Evergreen Avenue
- Summit – $95,000 for Drainage Improvements on Wallace Road
- Union – $90,000 for 2019 Road Program Phase II for Fairway Drive South
- Westfield – $95,000 for Improvements to Rahway Avenue
- Winfield – $20,000 for Various Improvements