MADISON, NJ - There will be a community Blood Drive on Tuesday June 2 at the Madison Community Arts Center. The drive will take place from 2pm - 7pm. Those interested in donating blood and/or platelets need to schedule an appointment at https://www.redcrossblood.org/give.html/drive-results?order=DATE&range=10&zipSponsor=Madison%20Arts
Blood donation is a safe process, and people should not hesitate to give and receive blood, said the Red Cross. At each blood drive, Red Cross employees follow thorough safety protocols, they said.
To keep donors safe, the Red Cross is doing the following:
Pre-Donation Donor Temperature Screening
• All donors will be asked to have their temperature taken before being permitted into the blood drive.
• If a donor has a temperature greater than 99.5°F they will be asked to come back to donate when they are healthy and will be asked to leave the drive.
• Hand sanitizer will be available at check-in, health history and refreshment areas.
• Blood donors will be asked to use hand sanitizer prior to using tablets and laptops.
• Donors beds will be sanitized between every donor.
• Implementation of separated drive set up to allow as much distance as possible between donors.
Blood Supply Protection
The Red Cross uses safety measures to protect the blood supply from all respiratory viruses including COVID-19.
The Red Cross is asking that individuals postpone their donation for 28 days following:
• Travel to China, Hong Kong, Macau, as Iran, Italy and South Korea
• Diagnosis of COVID-19, contact with a person who has or is suspected to have the virus.
• In addition to the travel deferral, the health history screening also helps to protect the blood supply.
• Blood is only collected from individuals who are healthy and feeling well at the time of donation.
• Preparing the arm for donation with an aseptic scrub.
• Call back number, to connect with trained donor counselors, is provided if donor develops any symptoms of illness within the days following donation. Donations from such donors are immediately quarantined and not used.
For detailed donor eligibility questions, please call 1-800-RED CROSS or visit redcrossblood.org.
Staff Wellness and Protection
• All staff and volunteer members will have a temperature check before presenting to work, and they've been asked not to come to work if they are feeling sick.
• Staff will wear gloves throughout entire blood drive, changing gloves between every donor.
Increased Educational Materials
• Donor educational materials on COVID-19.
• Stop sign at entrances to avert ineligible donors from presenting.
The Madison Area YMCA is located at 111 Kings Road in Madison
Celebrating Something Special? Showcase Your Wedding, Christening, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Graduation, Reunion and MORE on TAPinto Milestones!