Members of the Hawthorne Police Department, as well as our volunteer emergency services (Fire, EMS, and OEM) continue to be here for the community 24/7 in responding to public safety emergencies and criminal acts in progress. However, due to the national, state, and county declarations of a state of emergency, certain secondary, non-emergent operations will be suspended until further notice.
If you are quarantined due to COVID-19, or potential exposure (mandatory or self-imposed) and need assistance in your home, PLEASE notify 911, when you call you MUST advise the dispatcher of this. We also ask that you place a sign/note on your front door to alert our personnel to take infection-prevention precautions before entering your home or business. Officers will be asking questions before they enter your home. Please respect this procedure and recognize that it also protects you and your family. Please keep social distance from our officers when you interact with them.
We need to protect our personnel so that they will be able to continue to meet the emergency needs of the community.
Elsewhere, there have been police officers and/or fire and EMS personnel quarantined after they have responded to quarantined homes and were not alerted before entering. Those first responders are now unavailable to help anyone for at least 14 days.
In our department, we cannot afford to have this happen.
Effective immediately, avoid coming to Police Headquarters unless you absolutely have to. If you are reporting a criminal act, seeking a domestic violence restraining order, or are the victim of a serious crime we are here for you at any time. Situations where citizens appear to be in distress will also result in an immediate police response. However, the following services are hereby suspended:
- In person applications for parking permits, firearm permits, solicitor permits, or requests for copies of police reports.
- Reports can be requested via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, verification of identity will be required with copy of photo ID (driver’s license), case #; if no photo ID is available include social security number and date of birth.
- Accident reports can be obtained at: www.crashdocs.org
- Applications for firearms permits may be submitted online: https://njportal.com/NJSP/FARS
Citizens wishing to file police reports concerning non-criminal matters should contact the Hawthorne Police Department by phone at 973-427-1800. You will be asked to provide your complete contact information and a brief description of the issue. These matters will be reviewed as staffing and service requirements permit. If a follow-up by a police officer is necessary, an officer will contact you by phone or email.
Officers will not be responding in person or to police headquarters with regard to:
- Borough ordinance violations in the past;
- Minor property damage in the past;
- Parking complaints—except for blocked traffic or driveways;
- Any other matter which is not criminal in nature or a threat to public safety.
All overnight parking restrictions are suspended during this time of emergency. However, vehicles must be otherwise legally parked. We are committing to providing the highest level of service to our residents as we have always done through emergencies over the years. Stay safe, stay healthy, and help each other. Together we will get through this. Thank you for your cooperation, understanding, and support.