December 16, 2012 at 2:07 AM
CALDWELL, NJ - Today in Caldwell College’s George R. Newman Center, the Cougar Men’s Basketball team soundly overcame the Felician College Golden Falcons with a 105-73 win. This win is the first time in 9 years that the Cougars have scored 100 points in a game; the last time was the 103-87 victory over Wilmington on Jan. 23, 2003.
In the first twenty minutes of the game, Sophomore guard Kevin Walker had 13 points and Sophomore guard Wyatt Polk scored 11. Walker comes from Bayonne, NJ and is majoring in Accounting, while Polk is from Haddonfield, NJ and is studying both Education and History.
For most of the first half, Caldwell was winning, and with 2:31 remaining in the period they led with 43 to the Falcon’s 32 points. Then Felician’s Tajric Boggs scored 4 points. Caldwell College Athletic Department’s Matt McLagan explained, “Bogg’s 4 points helped Felician close out the half with an 8-1 run to cut the deficit to four, 44-40 at the break.” Boggs is from Coram, New York and is majoring in Criminal Justice.
McLagan continued, “The Cougars shot 56.5 percent in the half but committed 15 turnovers, which was one under their season average of 16.0 miscues per game.”
With just 13 minutes left to play, Caldwell’s lead grew to 62-54. At that point, “Polk heats up with back-to-back threes. That starts a 25-8 Caldwell run that ends with two more treys from Polk for an 87-62 bulge with 6:35 remaining,” expressed McLagan.
With 2:49 left to play, Freshman guard Dawan Lighty converted a conventional three-point play to make the score 101-70. Lighty’s hometown is Paterson, NJ and he’s majoring in Business Adminstration.
McLagan continued, “Caldwell blistered the nets in the second half, shooting 63.6 percent from the field while hitting 6-of-10 from three-point range.”
Highlight players of the game were:
* Wyatt Polk who matched his career high (from last season’s January 24th win over Nyack College) with 33 points today. “He shot 13-of-19 from the field and 5-of-7 from beyond the arc. He also grabbed a game-high nine rebounds,” commented McLagan.
* Kevin Walker scored 24 points, achieving a career high, plus seven rebounds, six assists and three steals,
* Dawan Lighty scored 19 points, another career high.
* Sophomore forward Michael Balkovic scored 11 points. He’s from Neptune, New Jersey, studying Business Management.
* Freshman guard Brian Kenny, from Howell, NJ scored 20 points and had a career-high nine assists for Felician. Brian is studying Economics.
The Cougars host Queens College in a non-conference game on Monday, Dec. 17, beginning at 7:00 p.m. in the Newman Center.
Today’s Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference game is the first league win of the season for the Cougars, who are now 4-7 overall and 1-3 in the CACC.
For further information:
Caldwell College Athletics
George R. Newman Center
120 Bloomfield Avenue
Caldwell, NJ 07006
Facebook: Caldwell College Athletics