Community For Unity, Hate Has No Home Here, and the Central Jersey Community Coalition invite you to join us in promoting UNITY in our community and in all communities of conscience.
When: AUGUST 28, 2017, 5:30 pm, the anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech.
Where: Somerset County Courthouse, on the lawn.
Speakers will include community members, local elected officials, and members of various religious and community organizations.
Committed speakers thus far include:
- Kip Bateman - NJ State Senator
- Charles Boddy - Candidate for NJ Assembly
- Edina Brown - Town Council Candidate, Old Bridge
- M. Ali Chaudry - President, Islamic Society of Basking Ridge Co-Founder, NJ Interfaith Coalition
- Joe Forte - Sec. NJ LGBT Dem Caucus Victory Fund Campaign Board
- Roy Freiman - Candidate for State Assembly-District 16
- Karen Gaffney - Professor of English, RVCC. Author of soon-to-be-released, "Dismantling the Racism Machine: A Manual and Toolbox".
- Brian Gallagher - Mayor of Somerville
- Carina Gonzalez - Outreach Librarian and Professor at RVCC
- Christine Lui Chen - Candidate for NJ State Senate
- Aldo Martinez - Immigration Attorney, Martinez and Martinez Law, LLC
- Steve Peter- Somerville Town Council President
- Laura Shaw - Candidate for NJ Assembly
- Rabbi Dan Selsberg - Temple Sholom
- Mark Williams - AACT-NOW member
- Andrew Zwicker - Assemblyman for NJ's 16th Legislative District
We Have a Dream---that all human beings, of all colors, ethnicities, genders, gender identities, nationalities, abilities, races, sexual orientations, religions, and economic backgrounds are treated EQUALLY under the law and are accepted as EQUAL in the hearts and minds of citizens here and everywhere.
We Have a Dream---that within our lifetimes, rallies will not need to be held in order to promote the ideas of compassion, conscience, and connectedness.
We Have a Dream---that all of us actively and vociferously reject the scourge of racism, anti-Semitism, and bigotry whenever and wherever we witness it. Furthermore, we commit to confronting white supremacist ideology in our communities, institutions, and personal lives.
This is our dream, and this is the reality we must work together to create.