BERNARDS TWP., NJ _ The final stages of the township's restoration of its website and other online systems, disabled by a cyber-attack in mid-May, was underway at the end of this week, said Township Administrator Pat Monaco. However, so far, no culprit has been identified.

In answering questions sent via email from the public at Tuesday's "virtual" Township Committee meeting, officials said that the township had Cyber Liability Insurance to respond to the ransomware attack. However, citing an investigation that is still underway, officials declined to answer other questions about the accrued costs.

The meeting was streamed live on YouTube, but due to continuing effects from the attack, the meeting was unable to be televised.

Sign Up for Basking Ridge Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

However, the Bernards Township website was up again and the information technology department was working toward completing restoration by Friday, Monaco said in an email on Wednesday.

The good news, Monaco said during Tuesday's virtual meeting, was that all of the township's data had been backed up. "We have all of our data and it's a time consuming process to get it (back up)," he said.

"The investigation is ongoing," Monaco said. He said all information would be disclosed at a later point.

Mayor James Baldassare said professionals would need to go through the tedious process of going through the data. 

In an email to the municipal clerk, resident Todd Edelstein suggested that the actors who performed the cyber-attack might never be caught.

Officials also said that the township is working on construction of a new website. Township Chief Financial Officer said that funds to create the new website 

The website and other online township operations had been disabled by a ransomeware cyber-attack about a day before the last scheduled Township Committee meeting on May 12.