Basking Ridge, N.J., Saturday, December 20 — The Junior Women’s Club of Somerset Hills, Inc. is partnering with The Peapack-Gladstone Woman’s Club to host the Twelfth Annual Spelling Bee on Wednesday, January 21.
“The GFWC Junior Woman’s Club of Somerset Hills is a part of the General Federation of Women’s Club, the world’s oldest and largest volunteer women’s organization,” according to the organizers.
The Spelling Bee will be at the Bedminster Township School — 234 Somerville Road, Bedminster. The Spelling Bee is open to all fourth and fifth grade students. The format of the event will be that the top three spellers from the Bee will advance on to the District Spelling Bee.
According to the organizers, the following rules will be in effect:
- Word Pronouncer will say and define the word.
- The contestant should say the word, spell the word, and say the word again, but will not be disqualified if they forget to say the word before or afterwards.
- Judges will be present to rule on the spelling.
- If a word is misspelled, the contestant is disqualified.
- When only two contestants remain, if the word is misspelled, the remaining student must spell that word, as well as one more word, to be declared the winner.
Registration must be completed by January 9th.