SOMERSET, NJ - A 17-year-old male Franklin High School student was taken into custody and charged with possession of a firearm, according to a news release. 

"On Friday, Feb. 23, at approximately 11:30 a.m., members of the Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office Organized Crime and Narcotics Task Force received information that a male student at Franklin Township High School was alleged to be in possession of a loaded firearm while attending classes on school grounds," Somerset County Prosecutor Michael H. Robertson said in a statement. 

Detectives from the Franklin Township Police department along with detectives from the Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office Organized Crime and Narcotics Task Force and Major Crimes Unit, responded to the call, according to authorities. 

Sign Up for E-News

"Responding detectives met with the school administrators and immediately began coordinating a joint effort to safely locate the student," Robertson said in a statement. "Shortly thereafter the Franklin Township Police Department and the School Resource Officer accompanied the detectives, and they were able to quickly ascertain the location of the student in a classroom." 

Police say the student was removed from the classroom and escorted to the high school security office. 

A warrant to search the student's backpack was obtained from a Superior Court, police say. The search uncovered a 9mm semi-automatic handgun, and the student was transported to the FTPD for processing, police say. 

The student was charged with second degree, unlawful possession of a weapon and second degree, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, police say. 

The student is being held at the Middlesex County Juvenile Detention Center pending a detention hearing, police say. 

Robertson commended the quick response and dissemination of information between Somerset County law enforcement agencies and the Franklin High School administrators resulting in the quick recovery of the firearm without incident.

"Initial information received by law enforcement revealed that there were no known threats to the students or faculty," Robertson said. 

Editor's note: Voicemails were left with local officials for additional comments.