BAYONNE, NJ - Bayonne Mayor James Davis announced Tuesday that the Turnpike Authority will be closing one lane on the eastbound lanes of the Newark Bay Bridge for construction for the weekend of April 28, 29, 30 and continue through Monday, May 1.
The construction will include closing half the ramp on Bayonne exit 14A, beginning at 9 a.m. on Friday, April 28. One lane will be maintained on the 14A exit ramp. The Bayonne Bridge will remain open during peak hours Saturday, April 29 and Sunday, April 30.
The closings are related to the bridge deck repairs and resurfacing needed for the eastbound roadway and shoulder lane for the Pulaski diversion. The eastbound shoulder lane will not be available during the closure. The westbound lanes of the Newark Bay Bridge will remain open.
In other Turnpike construction news related to Exit 14A in Bayonne, Mayor Davis announced:
- In the toll plaza itself, reconstruction activity is continuing in Lanes 8, 9, and 10, and renovation work is continuing at the toll plaza building. Paving work took place over the weekend of April 21-22 in Lanes 3 and 4 at the entrance to the Turnpike.
- At the northern end of Avenue E near the traffic roundabout, the construction of new piers (columns) is continuing. Ground improvement is continuing with concrete modulus installation at 53rd Street and Avenue E.
- In the ramp area east of Route 440, road construction is continuing on the new connector ramps. During the weekend of April 21, roadway and asphalt paving construction took place at the Port Jersey Boulevard intersection with the northbound ramp to Route 440.
- For the connector bridge between the toll plaza and Port Jersey Boulevard, new bridge steel installation will take place during the weekends of May 5 and May 12. The installation will take place over the Light Rail and the Conrail freight lines. During the weekend construction activity in May, Light Rail service between 34th Street in Bayonne and Danforth Avenue in Jersey City will be handled by NJ Transit buses.
- In the area around the intersection of Route 440 and Pulaski Street, roadway construction is continuing for the new jughandle ramp. Median construction is also moving ahead. Ground improvement operations will continue in the coming weeks. On Friday, April 28, northbound Route 440 traffic will shift leftwards. (There are two northbound lanes adjacent to the median.)
- The ramps between the toll plaza and the Hudson County Extension will be resurfaced at a point to be announced in 2017.