BAYONNE, NJ- A sunny Sunday afternoon turned a bit chaotic for one Bayonne neighborhood Sunday when a large sinkhole caused a gas line to rupture, flooding an area with natural gas. 

Members of the Bayonne Fire Department were dispatched to 160 West 22nd Street on a report of a gas leak and, upon arrival, found the hole and ruptured gas line. The loud hissing sound of gas was heard as firefighters found high gas levels throughout the area. 

First responders, including firefighters as well as members of the Bayonne Police Department, McCabe Ambulance, and the Bayonne Office of Emergency Management (OEM), worked to evacuate all the residences on West 22nd Street, as well as some homes along the west side of Ave A. 

Sign Up for Bayonne Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

PSE&G crews arrived and were able to secure the gas leak approximately one hour after the initial call came in. 

With nearly 60 people from more than 30 homes being forced to vacate the area OEM worked with the Bayonne Board of Education to open a temporary shelter at the Korpi Ice Rink. 

The shelter was closed quickly as emergency personnel allowed all residents to return shortly after the leak was secured. 

“In a moment things can happen that cause people to take action. Fortunately, we have great partners, from first responders to the Bayonne Board of Education that jumped right in to assist,” OEM Coordinator Junior Ferrante told TAPInto Bayonne. “This incident is a good reminder for people to have an emergency plan and to discuss it with all family members. Go to ready.nj.gov for all the information you need to be prepared.”

 

Follow us on Facebook and sign up for TAPinto Bayonne E-News alerts to be the first to read about all things Bayonne!

Download the FREE TAPinto App!  Click here for Android - Click here for iOS for breaking news, traffic/weather alerts and special offers.

Know a story we should share with readers? Email editor Steve Lenox and tell him about it.