BLACKWOOD, NJ — More than 1.6 million people in New Jersey have filed for unemployment benefits since mid-March when the coronavirus pandemic began to ravage the state.

Looking to help individuals out of work, as well as employers unable to hire more people due to the financial impact of COVID-19, Gov. Phil Murphy announced $14 million of new workforce development funds on October 21.

The funds, as part of the state’s Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act pot, will assist residents in acquiring new skills that ultimately lead to employment. They will also create programs aimed at helping businesses “replenish their workforce.”

Sign Up for Belmar/Lake Como Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

The $14 million will be split into three buckets (per the governor’s office):

  • $4 million for Relief Employment – Provide dislocated workers and the long-term unemployed the opportunity to perform temporary jobs related to the state’s recovery from the pandemic. The first sector targeted for these jobs will be long-term care 
  • $3 million for Customized and On-the-Job Training – Cover up to 50 percent of training costs of a new employee if an employer commits to hiring that employee upon completion of the training. Will target essential and struggling industries such as retail, grocery, hospitality, tourism, health care, transportation and logistics
  • $7 million for Employment and Training Services – Expand career support services supported by the Workforce Investment Boards throughout the State. The services include outreach, intake, assessment screening, resume critiques, virtual job referrals, and referrals for short-term training, which can be provided remotely 

“Too many people are not just unemployed, but they've given up and this is an effort to track them down and bring them back in,” Murphy said at the outdoor press briefing at Camden County College’s (CCC) Blackwood campus. “These are investments that will lead to a paycheck that can support a family, they are investments in new skills that will carry workers further into their careers, and they are investments in dignity and security for working families…that is the best investment we can make.”

The governor abruptly left 20 minutes into the press conference after being informed that he had been exposed to a senior staff member, who was positive for the coronavirus.  

Before he learned of the exposure, Murphy outlined the program and the state’s efforts to help residents get back to work. 

Murphy said each participant that enters the workforce development program will receive a commitment for a job from an employer, and “from our end, we will help substance subsidize the starting wage.” 

The employment relief program will get another boost from $8.4 million in federal competitive grants dedicated to displaced federal workers, he said.

During the briefing, Murphy said as of Wednesday the state has an additional 1,062 positive coronavirus patients (223,223 total) and 18 more deaths (14,456 confirmed and 1,789 “probable”).  Two of the new deaths and 62 cases trace back to Camden County, where the event was being held.

“Hospitalizations are the highest they’ve been in three months,” Murphy said. “This is not abstract. It remains with us. It’s surging over the last number of weeks.”

TAPinto Belmar/Lake Como is Belmar and Lake Como’s only free daily newspaper. Accredited by the New Jersey Press Association, it is the official electronic newspaper of both municipalities. As a locally owned news organization, TAPinto through its advertisers is able to publish online, objective news 24/7 at no charge. Sign up for its free daily e-News, and follow it on Facebook.

Download the free TAPinto App!  Click here for Android - Click here for iOS to get news as it is happening.