LAKE COMO, NJ — A fire in a rear bungalow at 1806 Fernwood Road on June 30 originated in the area above the electrical panel in the dwellings's attic, according to Belmar Fire Marshal Ryan Dullea.

Although a cause for the blaze could not be determined, whether it was electrical in nature also could not be ruled out as well, he said.

The fire, which occurred at about 9 p.m. was contained to the attic due to the "quick actions" of firefighters, Dullea said. While Glendola Fire Department in Wall was dispatched for a rapid intervention team used for rescuing firefighters, the Belmar Fire Department kept the fire from spreading from a small portion of the attic, as several members ventilated the structure by cutting a hole in the roof. This allowed the heat and smoke to escape, and prevented additional damage.

Sign Up for E-News

The house is uninhabitable at this time, and a guest of a tenant was treated at the scene by the South Belmar First Aid Squad for a minor burn to his left thumb, Dullea said.

TAPinto Belmar/Lake Como is Belmar and Lake Como’s only free daily newspaper. Sign up to get all the news as it happens at www.TAPinto.net/enews and follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TAPintoBelmarLakeComo and on Twitter at @TAPintoBelmar.