My name is Tom Brennan. I am honored to serve on the Belmar Borough Council and hope the citizens of Belmar will re-elect me on November 7 so I can continue to give my time, energy and commitment to the town I love.
My wife Merry and I have invested our lives in Belmar. We raised our three wonderful children, Ciarán, Aislínn and Seán, here and we have been involved in the community for decades.
As a Belmar Elementary School teacher, I’ve been fortunate to know and guide thousands of Belmar’s young people. My years at BES have given me valuable insight into many aspects of our beautiful 1-square-mile town.
I’ve also volunteered in many different areas over the years. My interest in youth sports led to coaching recreation soccer, wrestling, softball and a stint as treasurer of the Belmar-Avon-Lake Como Little League. My passion for the arts evolved into a turn as a founder, treasurer and trustee of the Belmar Arts Center. A term on the Belmar Zoning Board of Adjustment gave me greater understanding about Belmar.
And I will never, ever forget the weeks following Superstorm Sandy when my wife, son Seán and I spent countless hours at Borough Hall headquarters and cleaning out damaged homes. My familiarity with Belmar families allowed me to offer guidance and compassion to many people as they struggled to put their lives back together.
I remain committed to Belmar’s smart growth, fiscal responsibility and terrific activities for all ages. In addition, I’m focusing on new environmental initiatives to protect our waterways, our neighborhoods and our natural resources. After all, a healthy environment provides Belmar with a healthier economy. Here are some of the things I’ve been involved with in my first term on the council:
- Extended no municipal tax increase to a seven-year streak. That’s a record no other town in New Jersy can match.
- Rebuilt our beach pavilions to provide services and community spaces for visitors and residents alike.
- Rebuilt our playgrounds on Eighth and 15th Avenues as attractive, safe and fun places for families to enjoy.
- Enacted an ordinance to control the spread of invasive plants like bamboo.
- Reduced the use of polluting single-use plastic bags. Because Belmar is surrounded by water on three sides, I recognize that keeping these waters clean is absolutely crucial to the health of your family and mine.
- Planned the rebuilding of protective dunes on our beach with native Jersey beach plants to make an attractive beachscape, unique on the shore.
- Spearheaded a plan to provide Belmar’s children with water survival skills so tragedies like the one we experienced this summer will not happen again.
I am passionate about Belmar: I want to preserve what is great about our town and improve what still needs work. I am asking for your vote so I may continue to serve you and your families.
Editor’s Note: The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.