BELMAR, NJ — A night of racing excitement prevailed earlier this week for Belmar Cub Scout Pack 40.
Building uniquely styled wooden cars of their own, 29 scouts from all dens in the pack competed in its Pinewood Derby held on April 8 at the Belmar Community Center. It was test of each cub scout’s craftsmanship in creating what he or she hoped would be the fastest speedster of them all.
In head-to-head heats, cars lined up at the top of the track came racing down, powered by gravity alone. And in a blink of an eye, the car whose nose first crossed over the finish line won that elimination round — until top winners in all three dens were declared.
These Cub Scouts now advance to the Boy Scout of America Monmouth Council’s Thunderbird District Pinewood Derby on Sunday, April 14 at the Wall Municipal Building, 2700 Allaire Road.
Here’s a list of all Belmar Cub Scouts placing in the derby:
- Lions Den: Declan Dolan, first place; Audrey Stout, second place; Dillon Stout, third place.
- Tigers Den: Tea Lusardi, first place; Cory Child, second place; Damian Cooley, third place.
- Wolf Den: Calvin Barratt, first place; (undisclosed), second place; Sullivan Johnson, third place.
- Bear Den: Romeo Matthews, first place; Max Gast, second place; Gary Miles, third place.
- Webelos Den: Kai Lomas, first place; Aiden Gebhardt, second place; Jack Nicolay, third place.
TAPinto Belmar/Lake Como is Belmar and Lake Como’s only free daily newspaper. Accredited by the New Jersey Press Association, it is the official electronic newspaper of both municipalities. As a locally owned news organization, TAPinto through its advertisers is able to publish online, objective news 24/7 at no charge. Sign up for its free daily e-News, and follow it on Facebook and Twitter.