BELMAR, NJ — “Fear can be your friend.” That was the message Belmar Elementary School Principal Lisa Gleason conveyed this week to sixth- through eighth-graders attending the school’s Honor Roll assembly for the third marking period.
“When we think about risk and worry about failure, we need to look at these moments for opportunity of big growth,” she told the group, drawing upon the business acumen of the late Steve Jobs.
Earning honor roll status is a way to push through the fear and set goals to attain that distinction,” she said. “Today is all about academic achievement.”
Gleason informed the students of the good news for the marking period: Since the first marking period, there was an increase in the number of students on each grade level achieving High Honor Roll status — earning a grade of 93 or higher in all subjects including related arts. For sixth-graders, the number rose from three to seven, seventh-graders, seven to 10, and eighth-graders, two to three.
Here are the 20 High Honor Roll achievers:
- Sixth grade: Braeden Chek, Kayla Kirk, Ethan Miller, Julia Nicolay, Jaslya Robinson, Estefany Sanchez-Barcenas and Eleanor Solomon.
- Seventh grade: Athena Komitas, Jacqueline Litowinsky, Declan Mannion, Raul Olmedo, Logan Orlowski, Madeline Orlowski, Fiona Reilly, Maeve Reilly, Emma Rokoszak and Nicole Tonny.
- Eighth grade: Maggie Jelley, Karen Li and Kayla Pyne.
Below is the list of the 56 Honor Roll recipients, earning a grade of 85 or higher in all subjects including related arts, for the third marking period.
- Sixth grade: Brianna Alejendrez Alvarado, Kelly Garcia Avila, David Cajas, Janiyah Chaney, Christopher Clara, Diana Gil, Kylie Gill, Ella Herbert, Isis Herrera, Kevin Herrera, Gavin Lisko, Tyler Lisko, Christopher Lynch, Mahogany McClaren, Nenah McLoughlin, Ever Mendoza, Lauren Morse, Brody Moss, Ella Speidel, Dalil Suluki, Jennifer Valentin, Francesco Viterbo and Hannah Wilton.
- Seventh grade: William Anan, Juan Garcia, Frida Paz-Garnica, Miguel Juarez, Isabel Lusardi, Madelyn McManus, Enrique Mendoza, Lia Mendoza, Jessica Meza, Kyle Polito, Maria Quintero, Estephany Riano, Sophia Rokoszak, Vincent Russo, Eber Trejo, Analisa Viterbo, Khadeija Webb and Kevin Zuniga.
- Eighth grade: Diana Aguilar, Brian Arias, Kevens Caballero, Nicholas Connelly, America Garay, Audrey Hardmeyer, Lindsey Hardmeyer, Margaret Held, Ayden Hope, Sabrina Knight, Vanessa Meza, Taina Montoya, Jake Oleszkiewicz, Orlando Osorio and Joseph Walsh.