BELMAR, NJ Improperly or carelessly discarded smoking material is not being ruled out as the cause of an early-morning bed fire today that was quickly extinguished at the Mayfair Hotel annex, according to fire officials.

At about 12:35 a.m. on June 8, the Belmar Fire Department was dispatched to the annex, located at 101 10th Avenue, after the building’s automatic fire alarm system was triggered.

When they arrived at the scene, the fire in the third-floor room had already been completely extinguished — mostly by its occupants and then by Belmar police when they got to the scene first and found a smoke condition that prompted an evacuation of the floor, officials said.

Sign Up for E-News

The fire was ruled accidental by Belmar Fire Marshal Ryan Dullea, who was assisted in the investigation by the Belmar Police Department’s Detective Bureau, Monmouth County Fire Marshal Office and Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office.

TAPinto Belmar/Lake Como is Belmar and Lake Como’s only free daily newspaper. Accredited by the New Jersey Press Association, it is the official electronic newspaper of both municipalities. As a locally owned news organization, TAPinto through its advertisers is able to publish online, objective news 24/7 at no charge. Sign up for its free daily e-News, and follow it on Facebook and Twitter.

Download the free TAPinto App! Click here for Android - Click here for iOS to get news as it is happening.