Latest Numbers Show Monmouth County Cases on Downslide

TRENTON, NJ — The front lines of the coronavirus pandemic in New Jersey appears to now be in Ocean County, which has made up 28 percent of the state's 3,660 new cases over the last six days. 

Health Commissioner Judith Persichilli said on September 28 that a “hotspot team” will soon increase testing capacity in the Jersey Shore county and the state will deploy 20 contact tracers to help efforts on the ground.

Sign Up for Belmar/Lake Como Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

“We continue to see the statewide number driven in large part, not completely, but in large part by significant new cases coming out of Ocean County," Gov. Phil Murphy said at his coronavirus press briefing. “We're maintaining our lines of communication with county and community leaders as we work together to mitigate these outbreaks."

Ocean County, where 1,048 coronavirus deaths and over 13,000 cases have occurred, accounted for 242 of the state's new 561 cases on Monday. That's roughly 40 percent.

"By contrast, there were also 54 cases reported today for Middlesex County. That was number two," Murphy continued. "But all other counties were 35 new case cases or fewer. And that's a good thing.”

In Monmouth County, which was one of four counties singled out last week as having the highest spikes in COVID-19 cases, officials reported there were 31 new positive cases. That number is down from 57 positive cases reported on September 25, 53 on September 26 and 18 on September 27. There has not been a death related to the virus in the county since September 24 when two were reported and new coronavirus cases totaled 92.

READ MORE: Officials Link Monmouth County’s Spike in Coronavirus Cases to Gatherings, Businesses, Youth Sports

With the 561 new positive cases reported on September 28, the Garden State as a whole now has a total of 204,107-confirmed COVID-19 cases. The death toll rose by one, for a total of 14,316 deaths (1,791 considered probable).

The positivity rate in New Jersey is 2.48 percent, the rate of transmission continues to hover at 1.12 and the hospital census reads as follows: 421 being treated in New Jersey hospitals (236 confirmed), 91 patients in intensive or critical care and 39 people on ventilators. There were 16 deaths in hospitals on September 27 believed to be linked to COVID-19, but yet to be lab-confirmed.

It was not explicitly said what is driving the new cases in Ocean County, but Murphy said it is not believed to be indoor dining, although he did not rule out other indoor activities. 

He said re-administering indoor restrictions is always something he and his team consider. 

Speaking on the response to the spike, Persichilli said the goal right now is to increase testing and contact tracing capacity. 

New Jersey to Get  Antigen Testing Boost

Earlier in the press conference, Murphy also announced that New Jersey as a whole will receive a testing boost.

Of the 150 million rapid BinaxNOW screening kits approved for the United States, Murphy says 2.6 million will be shipped to New Jersey. In the coming weeks, 170,000 will arrive and be distributed across the state of 9 million.  

“This is an antigen test that can provide results in 15 minutes with a very easy nasal swab, as opposed to the straight-up-turn-left variety that we all started with … These new tests will significantly scale up our testing capabilities,” Murphy explained. “In the call that we all just left, this could be a game-changer. When you do the math, it's just shy of doubling our daily testing capacity for about 12 weeks.”

The governor said such a delivery of rapid tests could allow the health department to combat volatile situations like that in Ocean County, become a “big weapon” for limiting spread in schools and generally tend to vulnerable populations quicker. 

"We are not out of the woods yet and the numbers we've been seeing the past week or so bare that out," Murphy said. "We are all experiencing some level of understandable fatigue, that's only nature after the past nearly seven months. But now is the time we have to dig deep and find some added resolve.”

Below is Gov. Murphy's September 28 press briefing:

 

TAPinto Belmar/Lake Como is Belmar and Lake Como’s only free daily newspaper. Accredited by the New Jersey Press Association, it is the official electronic newspaper of both municipalities. As a locally owned news organization, TAPinto through its advertisers is able to publish online, objective news 24/7 at no charge. Sign up for its free daily e-News, and follow it on Facebook and Twitter.

Download the free TAPinto App!  Click here for Android - Click here for iOS to get news as it is happening.