LAKE COMO, NJ — Work on improvements to 17th Avenue from Oak Terrace to Main Street is under way. Residents are being asked to move their vehicles from the project area, and detours will be posted.
The project includes the repair and replacement of storm sewer inlets and pipework, and related work.
The borough council on April 7 awarded a nearly $254,000 contract to Jads Construction Co. for the project, which is being funded through a 2019 state Municipal Aid grant of $240,000. The South River-based company was the lowest bidder among five firms after the removal of Oak Terrace improvements reduced the project by some $111,400.
Last year, Lake Como was among 537 municipalities in the state sharing $161.25 million in Municipal Aid grants awarded through the Transportation Trust Fund, which is fueled by New Jersey’s per-gallon gas tax to pay for road, bridge and mass-transit projects across the state.
Under the Municipal Aid grant program, each county is apportioned a share of the total funding based on population and the number of local centerline miles. Municipalities compete for portions of their county’s share, with 95 percent of all towns receiving a grant last year.
N.J. Department of Transportation provides 75 percent of the grant amount when a town awards a contract and the remaining 25 percent upon completion of the project.
In 2019, Monmouth County received nearly $13 million, awarded to 52 municipalities. The full list of towns and awards for 2019 by DOT is available on its website by clicking here
TAPinto Belmar/Lake Como is Belmar and Lake Como’s only free daily newspaper. Accredited by the New Jersey Press Association, it is the official electronic newspaper of both municipalities. As a locally owned news organization, TAPinto through its advertisers is able to publish online, objective news 24/7 at no charge. Sign up for its free daily e-News, and follow it on Facebook and Twitter.