Monmouth County News

Monmouth County Residents: Do You Know Your Hurricane Zone?

729613bfc646bc7374cb_monmouthsheriffKnowYourZone.jpg
“Know Your Zone” is aimed at informing Monmouth County residents, businesses and visitors of the new coastal evacuation zones, helping emergency management officials target orders to at-risk areas. Credits: Monmouth County Sheriff's Office
52e7a90247252059d4de_monmouthsheriffstormkit.JPG
Participants in the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office STORM (Seniors Taking on Readiness Measures) program will receive a free emergency supply kit. Credits: Monmouth County Sheriff's Office
cb4f4490f9a447036173_Monmoutsheriffstormapp.jpg
Residents can have emergency notifications and public safety information at their fingertips through Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office app for smartphones. Credits: Monmouth County Sheriff's Office
729613bfc646bc7374cb_monmouthsheriffKnowYourZone.jpg

FREEHOLD, NJ — In the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey in Texas, Monmouth County residents are being encouraged to “Know Your Zone” before a weather emergency occurs in this area.

Know Your Zone is a public education campaign implemented by the county’s Office of Emergency Management (OEM) to inform the residents, businesses and visitors of the new coastal evacuation zones and their vulnerability to storm surge.

This information is particularly vital during hurricane season,” said Michael Oppegaard, Monmouth County OEM coordinator. “The plan identifies specific coastal evacuation zones (A, B, C and D),which helps emergency management officials target evacuation orders to those areas that are at the most risk, based upon threat, strength, direction and forecasted storm surge.”

Sign Up for E-News

The four distinct zones — A, B, C and D — will allow for a clearer and more decisive messaging,when evacuations are needed. As the public becomes aware of which zone they are in, evacuation messaging will be directed toward a specific zone. For more information about your zone, visit www.mcsonj.org/knowyourzone.

To assist seniors specifically in the event of an emergency or disaster, the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office offers STORM (Seniors Taking on Readiness Measures). The program equips those who are among the most vulnerable population with emergency preparedness information, including assisting them in creating a family disaster plan and providing them with an emergency kit.

“After Hurricane Irene and Superstorm Sandy impacted Monmouth County with mandatory evacuations and the need to shelter residents, it was recognized that many people did not have a family emergency plan. Thanks to our STORM program that has changed,” said Sheriff Shaun Golden. “STORM, which is presented throughout Monmouth County, provides people with the tools to build a plan in an effort to strengthen resiliency and sustainability, and expedite recovery during emergencies and disasters.”

During the program, seniors are provided with a family disaster plan booklet, which asks for personal, family, work, medical, insurance, emergency and evacuation-related information. Once the booklet is completed, they are then provided with a free emergency supply kit, which includes basic necessities for use during an emergency. Upcoming STORM programs will be presented in Holmdel, Howell, Morganville and SCAN at the Monmouth Mall, Eatontown. STORM programs can be scheduled by calling the Office of Emergency Management in the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office at 732-431-7400.

The sheriff’s office is also urging residents to have emergency notifications and public safety information at their fingertips, through the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office app for smartphones. The application is designed for Android and iOS platforms and can be downloaded for free from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store: https://www.mcsonj.org/downloadapp/.

The app provides instant access to sheriff’s office-related information, which includes real-time emergency notifications through its integrated push notification system that automatically displays the message on the phone. Users are able to be instantly alerted to weather or other emergency related situations from the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office and its Office of Emergency Management.

For the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 through Nov. 30, forecasters at National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center predict a 45 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season.

Forecasters have predicted a 70 percent likelihood of 11 to 17 named storms, of which five to nine could become hurricanes, including two to four major hurricanes. An average season produces 12 named storms of which six become hurricanes, including three major hurricanes.

New Jersey’s Office of Emergency Management also offers a free hurricane survival guide. Download it here http://www.state.nj.us/njoem/plan/hurricanes.html.

 

TAPinto Belmar/Lake Como is Belmar and Lake Como’s only free daily newspaper. Sign up to get all the news as it happens at www.TAPinto.net/enews and follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TAPintoBelmarLakeComo and on Twitter at @TAPintoBelmar.

TAP Into Another Town's News:

You May Also Be Interested In

Sign Up for E-News

Belmar/Lake Como

Princeton Students Achieve Success: Bog Turtle Designated State Reptile

June 19, 2018

TRENTON, NJ — Legislation inspired by students from Princeton designating the endangered bog turtle as the New Jersey state reptile has been signed into law by Gov. Phil Murphy.

“I am so proud of the successful effort of students at Riverside Elementary and their teacher, Mark Eastburn, to name the bog turtle as New Jersey’s official reptile,”  said Sen.

Could Monmouth Park's Haskell Invitational Be on Justify's Agenda?

June 13, 2018

ELMONT, NY — Triple Crown winner Justify came out of his stall to meet the media bright and bouncing on the morning after his gate-to-wire win in the 150th running of the Belmont Stakes.

When asked to assess his colt's win, Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert reported, “We were watching replays of the race. He could have gone around again.”

The brilliantly colored ...

Upcoming Events

Carousel_image_79fa0c100d0b47e86966_belmar_logo

Tue, June 19, 6:00 PM

Belmar Municipal Building, Belmar

Belmar Mayor and Council Meeting

Carousel_image_bed6d648278ffca768ba_lakecomolakesign__2_

Tue, June 19, 7:30 PM

Lake Como Borough Hall, Lake Como

Lake Como Council Meeting

Carousel_image_a38a751f90a4ce79ff11_bacsummertime5

Wed, June 20, 5:00 PM

Belmar Arts Center, Belmar

Summertime, Summertime

Carousel_image_4a1c64948c48a958cf1e_belmarwomansbookgrannyattic

Fri, June 22, 11:00 AM

Taylor Pavilion, Belmar

Belmar Woman's Club Book and Granny's Attic Sale

Carousel_image_7ae118156f1d20aed5df_bbppyanoeplaza4

Fri, June 22, 6:30 PM

Pyanoe Plaza, Belmar

Friday Night Concert Series: Chris Turner and the ...

Carousel_image_e39a6027bb97b7e5457b_jumblesale

Sat, June 23, 10:00 AM

Calvary Baptist Church, Belmar

Calvary Baptist Church's Giant Jumble Sale

Cool Ways to Save Money This Summer

As the summer temperatures rise, home cooling costs rise as well. But there are ways to help save money without sweating the heat:

To increase your cooling system’s efficiency by as much as 20%, get it checked out for summer.  A technician will clean the condenser, make sure you have the optimal amount of refrigerant, and ensure the airflow over the coil is ...

JCP&L Completes Inspections and Projects Before Summer to Enhance Customer Service Reliability

June 12, 2018

MORRISTOWN, NJ — Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) has completed inspections and projects across its 13-county service area, including Monmouth County, to enhance customer reliability in preparation for the summer season.

The work included upgrading transmission and substation equipment, upgrading circuits and trimming trees along power lines.

Helicopter patrols are ...

Facebook Provides Verification Badges for All TAPinto Facebook Pages

TAPinto and its 75 partner sites have been verified on Facebook with the social media platform's blue badge, which is given to news organizations that meet Facebook's authenticity criteria. 

Facebook gives the blue verification badge to "eligible brands, media organizations and public figures," based on factors that include policy compliance and public ...

Belmar and Lake Como

June 2, 2018

Belmar Police Department reported the following arrests occurred in Belmar and Lake Como from April 1, 2018 to April 28, 2018.

BELMAR

Ryan Miles, 33, of Belmar was charged with contempt on an outstanding warrant after his arrest on April 1 on Route 35 by Police Officer Patrick McGill.

Lisa Perrault, 49, of Long Branch was arrested on 16th Avenue on April 6 by Police Officer Patrick ...