NEWARK, NJ — As NJ Transit continues to equip its rail fleet with a positive train control system, nine North Jersey Coast Line weekday trains — including four with stops in Belmar — have been temporarily discontinued.
Effective June 4, the cancellations on a total of four rail lines are aimed at speeding up the installation of hardware for the train safety system on NJ Transit locomotives and cab-control cars. Also affected are the Northeast Corridor, Morris and Essex, and Pascack Valley lines.
NJ Transit has been given a December 31 deadline by federal regulators to complete this phase of the project or faces penalties. Last year, it was fined $12,000 for its lack of progress, according to officials.
Here is the list of the North Jersey Coast Line canceled trains — both inbound and outbound that run Monday through Friday — as well as several earlier and later train options for travelers. NJ Transit stresses that these cancellations are temporary and will be restored in early 2019.
Customers may take alternate service to Secaucus and transfer to service to Hoboken at no extra charge.
- Train 2300, the 4:49 a.m. departure from Bay Head to Hoboken (includes a 5:06 a.m. stop in Belmar)
- No earlier option between Bay Head and Long Branch. Earlier option departs Long Branch at 4:58 a.m. (Train 2300 departed Long Branch at 5:27 a.m.)
- Later option departs Bay Head at 4:57 a.m.
- Train 2602, the 6:05 a.m. departure from Long Branch to Hoboken
- Earlier option departs at 6:01 a.m.
- Later option departs at 6:19 a.m.
- Train 2604, the 6:23 a.m. departure from Long Branch to Hoboken
- Earlier option departs at 6:19 a.m.
- Later option departs at 6:35 a.m.
- Train 2312, the 2:05 p.m. departure from Bay Head to Hoboken (includes a 2:22 p.m. stop in Belmar)
- Earlier option departs at 1:10 p.m.
- Later option departs at 3:05 p.m.
- Train 3274, the 6:55 p.m. departure from Long Branch to Penn Station New York (PSNY)
- Earlier option departs at 6:33 p.m.
- Later option departs at 7:20 p.m.
Customers may take alternate service to Secaucus and transfer to service to Long Branch/Bay Head at no extra charge.
- Train 2303, the 2:12 p.m. departure from Hoboken to Bay Head (includes a 4:01 p.m. stop in Belmar)
- Earlier option departs at 2:02 p.m. from Newark Penn (From Newark Penn –2303 departed Newark at 2:36 p.m.)
- Later option departs at 3:05 p.m. (From Newark Penn)
- Train 2607, the 4:55 p.m. departure from Hoboken to Long Branch
- Earlier option departs at 4:54 p.m. from Newark Penn (From Newark Penn –2607 departed Newark at 5:18 p.m.)
- Later option departs at 5:25 p.m. from Newark Penn
- Train 2611, the 5:43 p.m. departure from Hoboken to Long Branch
- Earlier option departs at 6:04 p.m. from Newark Penn (from Newark Penn – 2611 departed Newark at 6:10 p.m.)
- Later option departs at 6:22 p.m. from Newark Penn
- Train 2313, the 6:21 p.m. departure from Hoboken to Bay Head (includes an 8:05 p.m. stop in Belmar)
- Earlier option departs at 6:22 p.m. from Newark Penn (From Newark Penn – 2313 departed Newark at 6:40 p.m.)
- Later option departs at 6:47 p.m. from Newark Penn
In addition, the following trains will be restored to/from Penn Station in New York City and will no longer operate to/from Hoboken. The trains were diverted to Hoboken in January as part of Amtrak track work at Penn Station in New York.
- Train 3318 will depart Bay Head at 5:40 a.m. and arrive at PSNY at 7:42 a.m.
- Train 3269 will depart PSNY at 5:45 p.m. and arrive in Long Branch at 7:24 p.m.
NJ Transit offers the following alternate travel options for North Jersey Coast Line customers:
- Utilize private bus carriers such as Academy Bus from locations that include the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel. Visit www.academybus.com for complete details.
- NJCL customers may also consider ferry service from Monmouth County including NY Waterway’s ferry from Belford or the Seastreak ferry from Highlands or Atlantic Highlands.
- Customers may also utilize NJ Transit bus service on the Route 9 corridor.
Commuter can also stay connected through social media at:
- Twitter: @NJTRANSIT
- Facebook: facebook.com/NJTRANSIT
- YouTube Channel: TheNewJerseyTransit
For questions or additional information, call NJ Transit customer service at 973-275-5555 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily.
TAPinto Belmar/Lake Como is Belmar and Lake Como’s only free daily newspaper. Accredited by the New Jersey Press Association, it is the official electronic newspaper of both municipalities. As a locally owned news organization, TAPinto through its advertisers is able to publish online, objective news 24/7 at no charge. Sign up for its free daily e-News, and follow it on Facebook and Twitter.