LAKE COMO, NJ — Two wings of the New Jersey Air National Guard flew over Belmar and Lake Como at 11:32 on May 12, kicking off a two-hour fight to recognize people working the front lines during the coronavirus crisis.
Three F-16 Fighting Falcons from the 177th Fighter Wing and a KC-135R Stratotanker from the 108th Wing began their flight at 11:20 a.m. — passing over key COVID-19 sites that include test sites, state veteran homes, hospitals and mortuary affairs locations.
The National Guard Salutes Flyover, which looped around the entire state, was seen at the following times and locations:
- Sea Girt – 11:30 a.m.
- PNC Arts Center, Holmdel – 11:35 a.m.
- Millstone – 11:40 a.m.
- New Jersey Convention and Exposition Center, Edison – 11:45 a.m.
- Menlo Park, Edison – 11:46 a.m.
- Kean University, Union – 11:48 a.m.
- University Hospital, Newark – 11:48 a.m.
- Meadowlands Exposition Center – 11:49 a.m.
- Bergen County College, Paramus – 11:51 a.m.
- Veterans Haven North, Glen Gardner – 12:01 p.m.
- N.J. Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, Lawrenceville – 12:07 p.m.
- Jefferson Cherry Hill Hospital – 12:13 p.m.
- U.S. Coast Guard Training Center, Cape May – 12:27 p.m.
- Atlantic City Convention Center – 12:32 p.m.
“The New Jersey National Guard has been in the fight against COVID-19 from the very beginning with our state and federal partners to save lives and relieve suffering," stated Brig. Gen. Jemal Beale, commander of the New Jersey National Guard and commissioner of the state Department of Military and Veterans Affairs.
"Never underestimate the value of a morale boost when in combat. I want to thank the New Jersey Air Guard for its patriotic gesture and flyover in support of our first-responder cohorts as we continue to battle COVID-19," said Beale. “Jersey Strong!”
TAPinto Belmar/Lake Como is Belmar and Lake Como’s only free daily newspaper. Accredited by the New Jersey Press Association, it is the official electronic newspaper of both municipalities. As a locally owned news organization, TAPinto through its advertisers is able to publish online, objective news 24/7 at no charge. Sign up for its free daily e-News, and follow it on Facebook and Twitter.