FREEHOLD, NJ — Five presumptive positive cases of the coronavirus have been confirmed in Monmouth County by health officials.
A 66-year-old woman and 83-year-old woman, both from Hazlet, are being treated at Hackensack Meridian Health Bayshore Medical Center in Holmdel, according a statement on March 12 by the Monmouth County Board of Freeholders.
Both women were clients at the Golden Age Adult Day Care Program, which has voluntarily closed its location in the Morganville section of Marlboro and is working in cooperation with the N.J. Department of Health and the Monmouth County Health Department, the statement said.
Also, the presumed positive test results of a 17-year-old female from Little Silver has forced the closing of Red Bank Regional High School, which has moved to virtual instruction until further notice, officials said.
She is an immediate family member of the 27-year-old man who was reported presumptive positive for COVID-19 earlier this week. Late last month, he attended the Biogen conference in Boston, which has been connected to at least 77 cases of the virus in Massachusetts. Neither are reported to be hospitalized.
In addition, N.J. Department of Health officials at this afternoon's press briefing announced that a 53-year-old man from Manalapan is presumed positive after being exposed to someone with a confirmed case of the coronavirus. The individual is being treated at Centrastate Medical Center, Freehold, according to information released at that briefing.
Presumptive positive cases are sent to the federal Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta for results confirmation, according to the state Department of Health, which reports there currently are 29 presumptive positive cases of the novel coronavirus in New Jersey. In addition, 74 people have tested negative, 20 tests are in progress and 37 persons are under investigation, it reported. A 69-year-old man from Bergen County is the only person known to have died of the virus in the state.
Meanwhile, Gov. Phil Murphy is recommending the cancellation of all public gatherings of more than 250 individuals, including concerts, sporting events and parades. "These measures are being taken as part of our coordinated response to the continued outbreak and to aggressively mitigate the spread of the virus," he said in a statement. "Additionally, for all events, we recommend that everyone practice commonsense hygiene, like washing hands routinely, staying home if you do not feel well, and keeping a six-foot distance from others.
Monmouth County officials said they are monitoring the situation and taking action to ensure the public health and safety of residents. “We continue to assure you that the freeholder board is actively engaged and in constant contact with the local mayors and the New Jersey legislative delegation, as well as the New Jersey Governor’s Office and the New Jersey Department of Health,” said Freeholder Director Thomas A. Arnone.
All Monmouth County and municipal health officials are following the guidelines established by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and N.J. Department of Health for monitoring and response to COVID-19.
Based on social media reports of individuals going door to door claiming to be from CDC, county officials are alerting residents not to let these individuals in their homes or speak with them, since CDC does not deploy teams in that manner.
TAPinto Belmar/Lake Como is Belmar and Lake Como’s only free daily newspaper. Accredited by the New Jersey Press Association, it is the official electronic newspaper of both municipalities. As a locally owned news organization, TAPinto through its advertisers is able to publish online, objective news 24/7 at no charge. Sign up for its free daily e-News, and follow it on Facebook and Twitter.