The Christie Administration today announced that 20 Union County municipalities will share $4 million in grants under the FY 11 state Municipal Aid program.
The grants are among 370 statewide totaling $78.75 million to help municipalities advance street improvement, safety and other projects without burdening local property taxpayers. The highly competitive program is part of New Jersey’s $200 million Local Aid program administered by NJDOT. The Department received 677 applications requesting more than $246 million for the FY 11 municipal aid grants. “This administration recognizes the value and importance of the Local Aid program,” said NJDOT Commissioner James Simpson. “The municipal aid component helps relieve some pressure on property taxes and enables local officials to make street improvements that they otherwise might not be able to afford.”
Municipal governments maintain more than 28,000 centerline miles of streets and roads, or 74 percent of the statewide total. The grant program covers a variety of projects, including road resurfacing and reconstruction projects. However, towns are encouraged to submit applications for such non-traditional projects as those that support safety, walking and biking and streetscape improvements in their communities. Seven percent of the projects selected for funding were of that type.
“This announcement is great news for hundreds of municipalities as they work to stretch their resources, control spending and reduce the property tax burden on residents,” said William G. Dressel Jr., executive director of the New Jersey League of Municipalities. Under the Municipal Aid grant program, each county is apportioned a share of the total funding based on population, the number of local centerline miles and other factors, and municipalities compete for portions of their county’s share. NJDOT provides 75 percent of the grant amount when a town awards a contract and the remaining 25 percent upon completion of the project.
Click here for a list by county of all 370 projects selected for grants: