BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ - The second and final day of the Union County Conference Championships was held at Governor Livingston High School on Monday, May 15. Both the GL Boys and Girls Track and Field teams finished in second place in the Mountain Division behind perennial powerhouse Union Catholic.
The boys were led by Andrew Aguilera and Kilian Quinn who together amassed 62 of the team’s 117 points. Aguilera won four events overall and Quinn won two events. Brian Rubenstein and Logan Calichman also achieved first place finishes for the boys. Victoria Vanriele powered the girls, winning three events overall. Lauren Boyd and Leah Saifi also won their events.
Governor Livingston garnered seven gold medals in Monday’s events:
- Aguilera won the 110m hurdles, in a time of 14.45, and the 200m dash, in a time of 21.75, setting two school records in the process. He finished the meet with four wins and three school records.
- Quinn won the long jump in a personal best 21-01.75. He also won the high jump on the first day of competition and finished fifth in the triple jump with a 40-07.00.
- Calichman won the 3200m in a time of 10:17.19.
- Rubenstein won the pole vault with at 14-00 vault, a foot higher than the second place competitor.
- Vanriele won the 800m and the 200m, setting school records in each event. Her 2:11.31 is the best time in New Jersey so far this season. She ran 25.88 in the 200m. Vanriele set a school record in the 1600m on Friday.
- Boyd won the shot put competition with a throw of 38-07.50, a new outdoor personal best.
Other top finishes on Monday included:
- Second place – The girls 4x400m relay of Caitlin Colendenski, Caroline Peer, Danielle Petryk, and Christal Vilasoa in a time of 4:17.29.
- Third place – Doug Ladzinski in the 110m hurdles in a time of 15.42 and Amanda Johnson in the 3200m in a time of 12:29.05.
- Fourth place – Thomas Jakositz in the discus with a throw of 127-08 and Lorenzo Pagdanganan in the 3200m in a time of 10:34.84.
- Fifth place – Alexandra Cassu in the 100m hurdles in a time of 17.40 and Lauren Boyd in the discus with a throw of 91-05.
- Sixth place – Isabelle Collins in the 100m hurdles in a time of 18.44, Evelyn Doskoch in the 3200m in a time of 12:55.31, Rhea Doria in the discus with a throw of 90-06, Kyle McCarthy in the pole vault with a 10-00 vault, Erin Splaine in the 800m with a time of 2:31. 24, Mike Zacieracha in the 800m with a time of 2:03.93, and the boys 4x400m relay of Tommy Greenwald, Jakada Khalfani, Evan Reiner, and Mike Zacieracha in a time of 3:41.23.
The Highlanders will be back in action on Thursday and Friday, May 18-19, for the Union County Championships at Hub Stine Field in Plainfield.