BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ - The Berkeley Heights Fire Department responded to an early morning structure fire at 81 Industrial Road on Tuesday. 

The fire was held in check by the sprinklers, said Deputy Chief Jim Hopkins. "The crews forced entry to a business to extinguish remaining fire, other crews conducted searches that proved negative."  He said, two neighboring businesses in this large multi-use building suffered water and smoke damage. 

The cause of the fire was accidental due to malfunction of an external lithium laptop battery, said Hopkins.

Sign Up for E-News

New Providence and Chatham Township Fire Department responded directly to the scene to assist the BHFD.

Warren, Stirling, and Watching Fire Departments responded to the BHFD firehouse in the event of another call within our Township.

No firefighter injuries or equipment failures to report.