Want to know what is being discussed by the Town Council at its next meeting?
The next town council meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 6 at 7:00PM. Members of Council, Mayor Devanney, and Administration staff will be participating virtually via ZOOM. The access link for the virtual meeting: www.zoom.us/j/3575747364
For this and all future electronic meetings, members of the public will be able to comment during the virtual meeting. Additionally, comments and questions will be accepted by email to email@example.com or by writer letter to the Township Clerk, 29 Park Ave, Berkeley Heights NJ 07922. Comments must be received by the Township Clerk no later than 4:00 PM on the date of the virtual meeting.
The first item on the agenda is a conference session for the 2021 Municipal Budget and will be presented by the Township’s CFO Eugenia Poulos and the Township’s Administrator Liza Vianna. They will present a summary of the Municipal Budget that is being introduced during the meeting and will establish May 4, 2021 as the date of the public hearing and final adoption.
Council will hold a hearing and vote on an ordinance to authorize the Township to increase its final budget appropriations by the statutorily permitted 3.5% and to allow the township to bank any unused amounts for the next two years. This is a budgeting technique that allows council to plan for unexpected expenditures in future years. This ordinance is not an expenditure of funds and does not affect the tax levy.
Council will hold a hearing and vote on an ordinance amending section 17.11.6 (Additional Fees) of the Municipal Code of the Township to modify the tax map revision fees to cover the cost of tax map revisions. The township has a multi-year project to update the tax map and the fee structure has not been updated to adequately cover the additional expense incurred.
Council will hold a hearing and vote on an ordinance to extend Ordinance 25-2020, which authorizes restaurants to establish and operate approved temporary dining areas during the COVID-19 pandemic through December 1, 2021.
The council will vote on the following resolutions:
- Approve Bill List dated April 6, 2021 in the amount of $691,493.97 for vouchers that have been properly approved for processing and payment.
- Authorize the submission of treatment works approval applications to the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) for Berkeley Crossing Urban Renewal, LLC (former Berkeley Florist) and Berkeley Heights Developers, LLC (Stratton House/former Kings) which is required because estimated sewage generation is in excess of planned 8,000 gallons per day and therefore requires a Treatment Works Approval (TWA) from the NJDEP.
- Authorize $12,657,631 to the current temporary operating budget to meet expenses that must be paid prior to the final adoption of the 2021 budget.
- Authorize a contract with Regional Industries, LLC for the provision of Residential Clean-Up (Bulk Pick-Up) in the amount not to exceed $135,000.
- Authorize a contract with Cifelli & Son General Contracting Inc, for the Provision of Walk, Don’t Drive to the Berkeley Heights Train Station! Project in the amount not to exceed $767,029.50, subject to NJDOT. This project is the Plainfield Ave sidewalk improvement project that the township received a $410,000 Safe Streets to Transit grant award for in 2019. The difference between the total project cost and the grant award will be funded with existing capital ordinance funds.
- Authorize the waving of the $100 annual fee assessed to Food Service Establishments to maintain a “FOG control license” for the 2021 calendar year due to difficulties surrounding COVID-19
- Authorize the township to accept a grant of up to $6,000 to fund the purchase, installation and maintenance of 1 level 2 dual-port ChargePoint EV charging station to be located at 29 Park Ave, Berkeley Heights NJ
To view the complete Council agenda, go to