BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ - Commander Tom Lombardi received a check on behalf of the Berkeley Heights VFW Post 6259 in the amount of $2,500 from the Smith Chiropractic Foundation, host of the Berkeley Heights Charity 5K Run, at a recent Suburban Chamber of Commerce Berkeley Heights monthly networking breakfast.
Smith challenged the VFW to raise the first $2,500 for the necessary paving of the Post's parking lot, and in the spirit of Memorial Day, the Smith Chiropractic Foundation matched the donations. "We are very proud that they have a new parking lot and are moving forward," said Smith.
Lombardi spoke to the room of local businesses and explained the necessity of donations received by the annual "Buddy Poppy" campaign. "We ask for donations to keep the Post alive," said Lombardi. "We use the money for hospital visits. -- We go to the hospital as often as we can. We still have men in the hospital from Vietnam who have no family so they stay in the hospital. -- We use that money to keep our head above water."
Click here for the story of the "Buddy Poppy"
Related article: Friends of 6259 Launches Membership Campaign in Berkeley Heights
Highlights of the Chamber of Commerce Meeting Berkeley Heights Networking Breakfast -- May 19, 2017
- "Be Known" through the Suburban Chamber of Commerce
- About 40 businesses were in attendance
- Veterans Memorial Park and Hometown Hero Banners
- Peppertown Park Renewal Committee Bocce Tournament - June 10, 2017
- Rotary Club of Berkeley Heights
- Rubber Ducky - June 3, 2017
- Making a difference here and around the world.
- First Friday Networking Event at Grand Summit Hotel
- Winedown Wednesday
- Berkeley Heights Annual Street Fair -- June 25, 2017
- Berkeley Heights Summer Concert Series -- Four concerts starting July 19
Visit the Suburban Chamber of Commerce website for upcoming events and learn about ways to be involved.