NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ - Gov. Livingston boys swim team finished fourth overall at the Union County Championships at Rutgers University this past weekend. David Martinez broke three school records in 100 Butterfly, 100 Backstroke and as part of the 400 Freestyle Relay team.
Martinez crushed the long standing 1988 GLHS record in the 100 Butterfly, with a time of :53.10. This second place finish also earned him a trip to the state-wide Meet of Champions (MOCs), held later this season. Martinez came back a second time to squash the school record in the 100 Backstroke with a time of :53.93. This third place finish earned him a second spot at the MOCs. Completing the record-breaking triumvirate, with his teammates, Martinez anchored the 400 Freestyle Relay, along with team Captain Dylan Wallace, Andrew Rampaul-Pino, and Thomas Sartorio, re-setting and breaking a third and final Highlander school record with a time of 3:23.11.
Several personal best times were fueled by a burning desire to both race and place among the Highlander men.
Head Coach David Closs feels the Highlander men had an outstanding performance at the meet. He was exceptionally pleased with all the personal best times captured by his athletes. “Great leadership abounding, team Captain Dylan Wallace did his best time in the 200 Free. Four fantastic splits in the 200 Medley Relay came from lead off David Martinez, followed by Chris Rampaul-Pino, Andrew Rampaul-Pino, and Aidan Forrester. Overall, everyone came and did at least one personal best time. Andrew Rampaul-Pino’s 500 Free was terrific, James Lenahan had a super 100 Breast, and Thomas Sartorio had an excellent meet with his 100 and 200 Free along with his splits off the relays. Sam Lee had a great swim in the 100 Breast, also ending with a personal best. I was especially happy for Robert Wargaski in the 500 Free. He dropped over 15 seconds and broke through seven minutes for the first time. John Sternberg had a best time by four seconds in his backstroke.”
Closs is excited as he looks forward to taking this enthusiastic momentum into the state team tournament.
Place Finish Results:
- 200 Medley Relay: 5th place, David Martinez, Chris Rampaul-Pino, Andrew Rampaul-Pino, Aidan Forrester
- 200 Free: 6th place, Dylan Wallace; 11th place, Thomas Sartorio
- 200 IM: 15th place, Noam Rotenberg, 16th place Aidan Forrester
- 50 Free: 13th place, Andrew Rampaul-Pino
- 100 Fly: 2nd place, David Martinez; 7th place, Chris Rampaul-Pino
- 100 Free: 1st place, Dylan Wallace; 10th place Thomas Sartorio
- 500 Free: 5th place, Andrew Rampaul-Pino; 15th place, Aidan Forrester
- 200 Free Relay: 5th place, Dylan Wallace, Chris Rampaul-Pino, Aidan Forrester, Thomas Sartorio
- 100 Back: 3rd place, David Martinez; 13th place, Jon Sternberg
- 100 Breast: 9th place, Chris Rampaul-Pino
- 400 Free Relay: 4th place, Dylan Wallace, Andrew Rampaul-Pino, Thomas Sartorio, David Martinez
- 200 Free: Dylan Wallace, 1:50.75; Thomas Sartorio, 1:54.79
- 200 IM: Noam Rotenberg, 2:24.59
- 50 Free: Jon Sternberg, :25.77; Tony Ho, :28.43
- 100 Fly: James Lenahan, 1:08.51
- 100 Free: Thomas Sartorio, :52.35
- 500 Free: Robert Wargaski, 6:46.06
- 100 Back: David Martinez, :53.93; Jon Sternberg, 1:04.09
- 100 Breast: James Lenahan, 1:17.74; Sam Lee, 1:22.54