Women from all over North Jersey will be gathering at Floods Hill in South Orange, NJ on Saturday, October 1st to show their “support,” literally, for National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. With their tops clad only in white bras, these courageous women are “coming out” to make a bold public statement that breast cancer “awareness” just isn’t enough. They want their message to be loud and clear:  Less talk, more action. NOW is the time to take action. Do something. Get a mammogram. Get involved. Make a difference. And urge your mother, your daughter, your grandmother—all the women in your life—to do the same.

The event will be captured on film by professional photographer Elizabeth Fleming of Maplewood, NJ, who is donating her services for the “Undress for Success” project. Fleming is a graduate of Washington University in St. Louis and the School of Visual Arts in New York City, earning both her BFA and MFA in photography. Her work has been exhibited and published internationally, and has received numerous awards and honors, including an invitation in 2009 to participate in CENTER Santa Fe's prestigious annual portfolio review. Fleming also writes the well-read blog Tethered, which examines the intersection of artmaking and motherhood.

The signed, limited edition photographs will be done in black and white with all of the bras tinted pink (the tank tops of participating men will be tinted light blue). Prints will be available for purchase at $25 for an 8.5” x 11” and $40 for an 11” x 14”. All proceeds from the sale of the prints will benefit the Susan G. Komen for the Cure North Jersey Affiliate.

This bra-zilliant idea is the brain child of Lori Dalvi, Sue Rexford and Laurie Dolinger. Dalvi, a longtime Komen North Jersey supporter, has helped raise thousands of dollars for the Affiliate’s annual Race for the Cure as Co-Captain of “Team SOMA Gals.” Her team, whose members live in South Orange, Maplewood and neighboring towns, has consistently been one the Race’s top fundraisers. “My inspiration for the idea came from wanting to do something different. Something that would garner a lot of attention,” says Dalvi.

Sign Up for E-News

“We’re hoping to get hundreds of women—and men—to join in this project, everyone who wants to be part of getting a powerful message out that being aware of breast cancer issues isn’t enough. We talk a lot about early detection being key to survival, but we hope that “Undress for Success” will get women to take action, and do it now.”

Without a doubt, this will be a powerful, hard-to-miss statement, about the “power of pink.”  

Take action, take part. Be in the photo!

All women and men are invited to participate. Women are requested to wear white bras; men should wear white “tank” tops (to facilitate the coloration of the final photo). Participants must be at least 18 years old and will be required to sign a waiver at the event. Meeting time is 9:00am; the photo shoot will begin at 10:00am. Floods Hills is adjacent to Meadowland Park, just down Ridgewood Road from South Orange Middle School and the Duck Pond.

All participants in the event will receive a $10 discount when registering for the 2012 Susan G. Komen North Jersey Race for the Cure® between October 1 through October 31 (registration for the Sunday, May 6, 2012 Race begins online on October 1). 

For more information about the event, visit www.komennorthjersey.org. Anyone planning to attend (or to request more information via email) should RSVP by sending an email to undressforsuccess@komennorthjersey.org.

About the Susan G. Komen for the Cure North Jersey Affiliate

Through their annual Race for the Cure (coming up on its fifth year) and other initiatives, the Susan G. Komen for the Cure North Jersey Affiliate raises funds to support local grants that provide life-saving education, screening and treatment services to uninsured and underinsured women and men in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union and Warren counties. Of the net funds raised, 75% goes directly to the Affiliate’s nine counties; the remaining 25% is earmarked for national level research aimed at finding a cure for this terrible disease that affects the lives of so many individuals. Since its founding in 1997, the Affiliate has awarded over $13.3 million in local community grants, and has directed approximately $5.9 million to the national Susan G. Komen for the Cure Grants Program for breast cancer research.