BERNARDSVILLE, NJ - The Governor Livingston Boys and Girls Track and Field team competed in the NJSIAA Central Group 2 Sectional Championships on Friday and Saturday, May 26 and 27, at Bernards High School. The Highlanders won 8 championships and both the boys and girls teams came in second to perennial Sectional powerhouse Matawan. Only the top six athletes in each event in sectional competition move on to the NJSIAA Group Championships next weekend.
Andrew Aguilera and Victoria Vanriele each earned 3 gold medals. Aguilera won the 400m hurdles, the 110m hurdles, and the 200m dash. Vanriele won the 1600m and the 800m. She also was a member of the victorious 4x400 relay along with Caitlin Colendenski, Danielle Petryk, and Katie Quinn. Lauren Boyd won the shot put and Leah Saifi won the pole vault.
On Friday, Aguilera and teammate Doug Ladzinski went 1-2 in the 400 hurdles in 54.12 and 54.93, respectively. On Saturday, Aguilera lowered his personal best and school record in the 110m hurdles to 14.27, which is also the fourth best time in New Jersey. He later won the 200m in 21.91.
Vanriele won the 1600m on Friday in a time of 5:01.47, lowering her own school record and personal best. In the 800m on Saturday, she ran a 2:11.43. She won both races by over five seconds.
Colendenski, Petryk, K.Quinn and Vanriele broke the existing school record in the girls 4x400 relay with a time of 3:58.77, going under four minutes for the first time. They beat the second place team by three seconds.
Saifi won her second consecutive outdoor Sectional title in the pole vault clearing 12-0. Francesca Porambo of Bernards also jumped 12-0, but Saifi reached that height in fewer attempts to garner the crown.
Boyd threw 37-10 to win the girls shot put by almost two and a half feet over her nearest competitor.
Other athletes who placed in the top six include:
- Second place: Doug Ladzinski in the 400m hurdles in a time of 54.93, Brian Rubenstein in the pole vault with a vault of 13-6, the boys 4x400 relay (Jakada Khalfani, Doug Ladzinski, Justin Ladzinski, and Kilian Quinn) in a time of 3:26.57, and the girls 4x800m relay (Danielle Petryk, Katie Quinn, Erin Splaine, and Cristal Vilasoa).
- Third place: Alexa Salida in the javelin with a throw of 100-01.
- Fourth place: Doug Ladzinski in the 110m hurdles in a time of 14.84, Alexa Salida in the discus with a throw of 93-08, and Lauren Saifi in the pole vault with a vault of 9-06.
- Fifth place: Jessica Ripperger in the high jump at 4-08 and Kilian Quinn in the triple jump with a jump of 42-01.25
- Sixth place: Logan Calichman in the 3200m in a time of 10:03.37, Nicole Massa in the javelin with a throw of 95-09, Kilian Quinn in the high jump at 5-10, and the girls 4x100 relay (Caitlin Colendenski, Victoria Pantina, Caroline Peer, and Leah Saifi) in a time of 51.90.
These athletes will move on to the next level of state competition and will be back in action at the NJSIAA Group 2 Championships on Friday and Saturday, June 2 and 3, at Northern Burlington County High School, in Columbus, NJ.