WESTFIELD, NJ - The Highlander Track and Field team competed at the Union County Relay Championships on Thursday, May 4th and Saturday, May 6th at Kehler Stadium in Westfield. The girls team won the 4x800m Relay, set school records in the Sprint Medley Relay, the 4x800m Relay, and the 4x400m Relay, and finished 3rd overall. The boys won the 3x400m Hurdles and finished 7th overall.
In a thrilling finish, the GL girls won the 4x800m Relay in a time of 9:27.79, a new school record and 4th all-time at the Union County Relay Championships and No. 5 in New Jersey. Senior Danielle Petryk ran the lead off leg, followed by Cristal Vilasoa, Katie Quinn, and Victoria Vanriele. Vanriele ran the anchor leg and received the baton in 3rd place, about 200 meters behind the leader. She passed the leader, from Union Catholic, at the top of the stretch to capture the victory with an unofficial personal best time of 2:07.8.
"I know that relay legs aren't always matched up evenly, so you have to give it your all even when you get the baton a distant third," said Vanriele. "As I was racing and saw the gap closing and all my teammates cheering loudly, I was encouraged to run through the pain to win the race for our school. I like to use the excitement of relays to run a best time, which then lets me know I can run that time again in an open event."
The boys 3x400m Hurdles Relay of Andrew Aguilera, Doug Ladzinski, and Justin Ladzinski also came in first in a time of 2:53.46. Aguilera ran a meet best 54.04.
Other highlights of the meet included:
- Four second place finishes
- Girls Sprint Medley Relay team of Caroline Peer, Caitlin Colendenski, Katie Quinn, and Victoria Vanriele in a school record time of 4:13.95
- Girls Javelin Relay team of Alexa Salida, Nicole Massa, and Maddy Forrester
- Girls Discus Relay team of Alexa Salida, Lauren Boyd, and Rhea Doria
- Boys 4x110m Shuttle Hurdle Relay team of Andrew Aguilera, Jon Longo, Alexander Janiak and Doug Ladzinski
- Two third place finishes
- Girls 4x1600m Relay team of Evelyn Doskoch, Erin Splaine, Amanda McElroy, and Amanda Johnson
- Boys Pole Vault Relay team of Brian Rubenstein and Kyle McCarthy (tied for third)
- Three fourth place finishes
- Girls High Jump Relay team of Sara Kelly, Heather Januzzi, and Jessica Ripperger
- Girls Shot Put Relay team of Lauren Boyd, Alexa Salida, and Sarah Comerford
- Boys 4x1600m Relay team of Logan Calichman, Lorenzo Pagnanganan, Zach Goldman, and Mike Zacieracha
- Two fifth place finishes
- Girls Distance Medley Relay team of Evelyn Doskoch, Erin Splaine, Danielle Petryk, and Amanda Johnson
- Girls 4x400m Relay team of Danielle Petryk, Katie Quinn, Cristal Vilasoa, and Victoria Vanriele in a school record time of 4:04.63.
- Three sixth place finishes
- The Girls 4x100m Shuttle Hurdle Relay team of Isabelle Collins, Alexandra Cassu, Brianna Hui, and Amanda Quinn.
- Boys 4x400m Relay team of Andrew Aguilera, Kilian Quinn, Jakada Khalfani, and Doug Ladzinski
- Boys Javelin Relay team of Brian Gray, Daniel Bottone, and Jake Zomper
Governor Livingston will be hosting the Union County Conference Championships at home on Friday, May 12th and Saturday, May 13th. Friday’s events start at 4 p.m. and Saturday’s events start at 9 a.m.