BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ - Chef Ve Submonchai and Jenny Bunnag have embarked on a flavorful new adventure with Kawee Thai Cuisine that recently opened at 301 Springfield Avenue in Berkeley Heights. Their new restaurant seats 25 to 30 people, offering authentic Thai food with recipes that stem back to Ve and Jenny's roots in Thailand -- using fresh quality ingredients.
Kawee, a family name, means artist -- through the flavors with how you cook is an art, said Jenny.
- Drunkin Noodle - Choice of chicken, beef or shrimp stir fried with egg, fresh flat noodle, chili, garlic, onion, pepper, tomato in Thai style spicy chili sauce.
- Pad Thai - Choice of chicken, beef or shrimp stir fried with rice noodle, egg, scallion, bean curd, bean sprout and crushed peanuts.
- Prik Khing with curry - Choice of chicken or shrimp sauteed with authentic Prik Khing curry, green bean and Kaffir lime leaf.
- Tom Yum Soup - Choice of chicken breast or shrimp in a lemongrass soup with fresh mushrooms, cilantro, scallions, galangal, kaffir-lime leaves and Thai spices.
- Thai salad - spring mix lettuce, carrot, cucumber, tomato, onion served with a peanut dressing.
Ve and Jenny are not new to the restaurant world, opening Summit Thai, located at 34 Maple Street in Summit, 10 years ago. While Summit Thai's menu caters to its customers' tastes, you will find a more authentic Thai menu being served at Kawee Thai Cuisine with the use of richer spices.
"Customers didn’t like too much spicy [when Summit Thai first opened]," said Jenny. Every year, a little bit more spice is added to the Summit Thai menu -- and now, the customers love it. "Flavor is getting more tasty."
Thai dishes, together with the right balance of the spices and fresh ingredients, create a sophisticated, delicious and unique dining adventure. "We can adjust the flavor to the customer’s preference," said Jenny -- recommending that customers explore the tastes. There are three flavors to Thai food, explained Jenny: sweet, spicy and salty. "We communicate with the customer and combine the flavors to their liking. Too much [flavor] isn’t good -- we combine a perfect amount for each item."
Their lunch special menu offers an expansive selection with choices of beef, chicken, vegetable and jumbo shrimp. The special includes a spring roll and steamed edamame starting at $9. The lunch combo is a "big meal" portion with "more variety" featuring Spicy Mussels, BKK Cat Fish and Duck Kee Moa, to name a few options -- served with Pad Thai and Lui Suan Roll. Click here for full menu including dinner entrees.
In addition to Kawee's 10-percent opening discount special [through January 31], they are offering the dine-in guests a complimentary dessert. The unique dessert menu needs to be introduced, said Jenny. "We have to do it right and bring people to town."
For more information for dining-in our take-out, call 908-665-2325 or visit www.kaweethaicuisine.com.
Editor's Note: Mention TAP into Berkeley Heights when you visit Kawee Thai Cuisine.