New notification system allows residents to stay informed of the latest emergency updates from Berkeley Heights.
BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ – The Township Berkeley Heights announces the new Smart911 notification system to provide targeted location-based alerts from the Police Department, Office of Emergency Management and Township of Berkeley Heights.
Berkeley Heights residents and visitors will now be able to download the Smart911 app or signup via website to receive key information needed in an emergency. The Smart911 app provides enhanced functionality by sending targeted alerts based on the user’s location. Smart911 app users will receive the highest priority alerts and warnings based on their real-time location.
“Smart911 Alerts have proven to be lifesaving, and the addition of the app means more residents can participate and be better prepared in an emergency,” said Police Chief John DiPasquale. “Every resident of Berkeley Heights should download the Smart911 app or signup via website today. It could save your life or the life of a loved one.”
Not only can residents sign up for emergency alerts, but they can also sign up to be notified of non-emergency Township alerts and news, which will include messages from the Mayor during the COVID-19 health pandemic.
Benefits of the Smart911 app include:
- Berkeley Heights can now send emergency alerts directly to the Smart911 app in order to reach individuals in a targeted neighborhood where a crime or emergency is occurring.
- Residents who have registered to receive Smart911 alerts can view alerts via push notifications.
- The Smart911 App automatically displays alerts from surrounding municipalities who participate in the program.
- Residents who previously did not have home internet access or a computer can register from their mobile phones.
- Choose how to receive an alert – voice, email, and/or text messages.
Residents who previously enrolled in Code Red or Swift Reach with the Township must now sign up with Smart 911 as those programs will be terminated. Every resident is highly encouraged to sign up in order to manage the alerts they choose to receive and to utilize the system to its fullest potential. Search “Smart911” in your mobile app store or text “Smart911” to 67283 to receive the download link via text message.
Residents may also visit the Township or police department webpage for links to sign up for Smart911 if you do not wish to have the app.
- Create a login
- Fill out information in the “Profile” section
- Go into “Settings,” then “Local Alerts”
- Under “Contact Methods,” select if you would like alerts sent to you via phone and/or email.
- Under “Subscribe to,” select the methods for which you would like to receive specific notifications for “Emergencies,” “Road Closures/Transportation” and “General Township Information.” You can select MORE THAN ONE communication method for each.
- Select as the last option whether you would like to opt in to emergency notifications from New Providence.