BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ - Safety and mutual respect should be at the forefront of our minds as we approach this Halloween season. Halloween is a time of candy, costumes, parties and festive fun, gathering together with friends walking house to house or celebrating at school parades. The Mayor, Town Council and Chief of Police encourage everyone to be safe and respectful of one another during this Halloween season. Here are some reminders:
- If you are out at night, please wear reflective tape on your costumes and bags as well as use a flashlight while walking. Avoid costumes that pose tripping hazards.
- Please look both ways when crossing the street and stay on sidewalks whenever possible rather than crossing through yards.
- Please put your electronic devices down and keep your head up when walking.
- Children should be accompanied by an adult while trick or treating.
- Use extra caution and drive extra safely on Halloween.
- Please drive slowly and exit and enter driveways always with caution.
- Homes welcoming trick or treaters should have sidewalks and entranceways well lit.
- Consider including some allergy free offering in a treat basket not exposed to other candies
We also ask that you be respectful when deciding on what costumes to wear on Halloween. We are a diverse community with respect for all of our citizens. Before choosing a costume, think if it could be hurtful to others. We are a caring community with a proud heritage that welcomes everyone. Our collective vision of an inclusive community is a reflection of all people in Berkeley Heights. Please be cognizant of respect for all.
Here are some traditional family friendly events to enjoy this Halloween:
Harvest Festival Sponsored by the BH Recreation Department
All proceeds from this event will fund new picnic tables.
Bring your family and friends for a fun day of pumpkin picking, free popcorn and hot cocoa, music and photo cutouts!
WHEN: SATURDAY, OCTOBER 21ST (Rain Date Sunday, Oct 22nd)
TIME: 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
WHERE: COLUMBIA PARK
COST: $10.00 TO PICK & PAINT A PUMPKIN
Halloween Spooktacular Family Fun!
Sponsored by Berkeley Heights YMCA. Join us for a wonderful morning of family fun! Find your way through the spider web, join the mad scientist in the science lab, and create some spooky fun arts and crafts!
WHEN: SATURDAY, OCTOBER 28TH
TIME: 10:00 A.M. - 12:00 PM
WHERE: BH YMCA (550 Springfield Ave)
COST: FREE (All children must be accompanied by a parent)
For more information: Francesca Gerrard 908-464-8373 or francesca.gerrard@theSAY.org
Trunk or Treat presented by the Berkeley Heights PBA. Come in costume and go trunk to trunk to collect treats!
WHEN: SATURDAY, OCTOBER 28th
TIME: Arrive at 11:30 am to decorate your trunk. Trunk or treating begins as 12 noon.
WHERE: Berkeley Heights Police Department Parking Lot
COST: Free. Bring treats to leave in your trunk for the trunk or treaters. Keep in mind treats should be safe for small children.
Hope to see you there!