Youth with special needs and those who could use just a little help and encouragement are welcome to now register for several programs being offered again this spring by the Summit Community Programs and coordinated by TryCAN. Our experienced coaches and instructors and excited to return to help our youth develop skills that may allow them to pursue a sport or activity further or simply provide them with a meaningful recreation experience.
These popular and affordable classes, open to both residents and nonresidents, also use the assistance of trained teen Peer Mentors from local middle and high schools to help participants fully participate in the classes, learn and have fun.
We have a full schedule of programs, each running 4-6 weeks, including many old favorites as well as more recent offerings:
· Reading Club (ages 5-13) – Thursdays at 4pm, starting April 19
· Music with Jammin’ Jenn (ages 4-8) – Thursdays at 6pm starting April 26
· Flag Football – Sundays at 5pm or 5:45pm, starting April 22
· Tennis Skills – Saturdays at 12pm, starting April 28
· Social skills for 3-5 year olds – Saturdays at 12:00pm, starting May 12
· Social skills for 6-7 year olds – Saturdays at 12:45pm starting May 12
· Social Skills, using technology, for 8-12 year olds – Mondays at 5pm starting May 21.
· Teen Friendship Group, to practice social skills – Mondays at 5:45pm starting May 21.
The classes are held at the Summit Community Center, 100 Morris Avenue. For a copy of the spring flyer with complete dates and times, instructor information, pricing and registration information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Summit Department of Community Programs at 908-277-2932. You can also stop by the Summit Community Center to pick up a copy of the flyer, register or answer any questions.
TryCAN is a collaboration of Summit and other nearby communities that offer a comprehensive array of recreation programs for children with special needs or those who need special accommodation. There are no non resident fees involved and all welcome!