SUMMIT, NJ - As has been well-documented, Amtrak will perform track repairs at New York's Penn Station in July and August, necessitating NJ Transit to implement service changes beginning July 10 that will dramatically alter Midtown Direct train service on weekdays. Nearly all weekday Midtown Direct trains will be diverted to Hoboken except for three early morning trains -- 6602, 6604, and 6696 -- that arrive into New York Penn Station prior to 7 a.m., with no Midtown Direct service out of New York Penn Station in the evening. Commuters must access PATH train or NY Waterways service from Hoboken.
As Hilltop City commuters scurry to adjust the timing of their commutes and explore alternate modes of transportation, the City of Summit has created a page on their website to provide detailed, Summit-specific information and updates.
“More than 80 percent of NJ TRANSIT customers travel over a portion of Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor at some point during their trip, so in essence, they are customers of Amtrak as well,” said NJ TRANSIT Executive Director Steven H. Santoro. “In developing this service plan, the safety of every customer was the top priority. Not only is this plan the safest, but it maintains the maximum number of seats across the rail system.”
According to Summit Mayor Nora Radest, as stated in her 'Mayor's Roundup' newsletter which was e-mailed to residents, "The City of Summit will hold NJ Transit and Amtrak accountable on providing real-time updates to customers about delays and repair schedules."
Radest also noted that the City is exploring private bus options from Summit directly to Penn Station.
Ticketing / Fare Discounts for Morris & Essex (M&E) Customers
M&E Midtown Direct customers will receive up to a 63 percent discount off regular NY fares with purchase of a Hoboken destination ticket for July and August. One-way, Round-trip, 10-trip and Reduced Fare tickets purchased with the discount will have expiration dates of September 1.
- Discounted monthly passes available for purchase June 19
- Discounted weekly passes available for purchase June 29
- Discounted One-way/Round-trip/10-trip & reduced fare tickets available for purchase July 9
All tickets for travel into Hoboken with Hoboken as the final destination will be cross-honored on:
- NY Waterway ferry service to 39th Street, Pier 11 and the World Financial Center
- PATH train service at Hoboken, 33rd Street Station and the World Trade Center
- Newark Light Rail
- NJ Transit bus service, special express bus service at Newark Broad Street Station and South Orange Station to Port Authority Bus Terminal
- Private carrier bus operators including DeCamp, Lakeland and Community Coach
Note: Hoboken weekly and monthly passes will be valid on weekends for Midtown Direct service into New York. Hoboken one-way, senior and reduced fare tickets will not be valid on weekends for Midtown Direct Service into New York Penn Station. In addition, Hoboken tickets will not be valid for travel into New York on Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast Line or Raritan Valley Line trains from Newark Penn Station.
Additional Travel Tips
- NJ Transit customers will need to show their rail ticket/pass to access PATH, ferry and bus options in Hoboken. Customers using single ride tickets should remember to hold on to their paper tickets when exiting the train to display when boarding the PATH, ferry or bus.
- Customers using single ride paper tickets are strongly encouraged to purchase round-trip tickets as they will have to display an NJ Transit ticket at the W. 39th St. ferry terminal and the PATH stations at 33rd and World Trade Center for travel to Hoboken. There are no NJ Transit ticket vending machines at those ferry and PATH locations.
- Customers are advised to download the NJ Transit Mobile App to purchase electronic tickets from anywhere at anytime.
- Cross honoring and alternate travel options will be available on weekdays only. Weekend service is not affected. Cross honoring will not be in effect from 2 a.m. Saturday until 6 a.m. Monday.
- M&E Customers traveling to/from Penn Station NY on weekends, using single ride tickets, will need to purchase tickets with Penn Station NY as the final destination
Important Contact Information
Phone - 973-275-5555