BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ - 'Relay for Life' of Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Summit, and Mountainside has decided to relocate the June 2 event inside at Governor Livingston High School (GL) in Berkeley Heights due to inclement weather forecast for the upcoming weekend.
The public and all participants are invited for a festive night of celebrating, remembrance, and fighting back. The event will end around midnight on Saturday.
The event begins at 4 p.m. and participants may enter through the entrance closest to the cafeteria or the back entrances near the student parking lot. Registration will take place in hallway outside the cafeteria.
The Survivor Celebration begins at 4 p.m. in the GL cafeteria. Survivors will be honored and celebrated and guest speaker, Dr Mandel, will discuss advancements in the battle against cancer.
- 4 p.m. - Doors open. Registration/check-in located in hallway outside of cafeteria - Basket auction begins on ground level.
- 4 p.m. - Survivor Celebration in cafeteria.
- 6 p.m. - Opening Ceremony in Boys’ Blue Gym on ground level.
- 7-9 p.m. - Walk continues, KanJam tournament in Girls’ Red gym, Various on-site fundraisers also in Red Gym.
- 9:00 p.m. - Luminaria Ceremony in Blue Gym. This emotional and inspirational candle lit ceremony is perhaps the most poignant of the event. It concludes with a silent lap walked in memorial for those who are no longer with us, followed by The Fight Back Ceremony where we will renew our commitment to continue the fight until we "create a world without cancer."
- 11 p.m. - "Relay's Got Talent" presentation by the participants who would like to share their various talents with the group.
- 12 midnight - end of event
- Basket Auction will take place on the premises.
Fundraisers such as sand art, slime making, carnival style games, bake sales, food sales will begin at 4 p.m.
A "Relay Store" will be on site with latest Relay gear.
Games include Corn Hole and CanJam.
Food vendors Sauced and Rubbed BBQ and Kenny's Empandas will serve delectable treats.
DJs Sandy and Tom will provide music throughout the event.
Carpooling is strongly encouraged due to limited parking at Gov. Livingston. Those choosing to park on the local streets should follow all traffic laws and only park where it is permissible.
"The Berkeley Heights Board of Education and the Berkeley Heights Police Department have been enormously helpful in making this change possible," said Relay for Life Chairman Patti Broccoli. "Their support has been unwavering and we are very appreciative of their time and energy."
We look forward to creating the best event we can given the situation Mother Nature has given us,said Broccoli. If you have at questions of concerns, please feel free to reach out to Patti Broccoli at 908-591-7269.
Governor Livingston High School is located at 175 Watchung Boulevard in Berkeley Heights.