BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ - Prior to Friday night's dual wrestling match, Gov. Livingston honored their five seniors and then took on Scotch Plains-Fanwood. Although the Raiders spoiled the night by defeating the Highlanders, 48-26, it wasn't without some intense moments on the mat.
Prior to the match, seniors Quinn Haddad, Chris Savino, Andre Moriak, Jared VanOostendorp and Mike Maglicano were celebrated along with the parents.
Gov. Livingston picked up five individual wins in the bout with pins by Quinn Haddad, Harrison Kelly and David Vill, and James Snyder scored a 16-1 major decision and Greg Friedenberg won a 4-2 decision.
Next, Gov. Livingston (11-11) will host John F. Kennedy Memorial on Wednesday, Feb. 7 with a 7 p.m. start.
Summary of Matches:
- 132 lb: Senior Chris Savino opened the dual -- not able to overcome a first period 5-2 deficit, Savino held on with three reversals and an escape to lose the close battle to Jacob Perrone, 9-7.
- 138 lb: Greg Friedenberg and Mateo Valez were scoreless through the first period. Friedenberg scored on a take down and reversal to even the match with a 4-2 victory.
- 145 lb: Connor Vill lost by pin to Jack Cannon at 5:12.
- 152 lb: James Snyder dominated from the start with a take down and near fall in the first period. He tacked on two more near falls in the third for a 16-1 victory over Noah Samms.
- 160 lb: Joe Scalora lost by pin at 1:13 by Zach Fleischmann.
- 170 lb: Senior Quinn Haddad, who remains undefeated in the season, won by pin against Nick Palazolo at 1:03.
- GL would forfeit the next three weight classes.
- 285 lb: Junior Damon Ippolito trailed, 6-2, going into the third period. He clawed his way back with a take down and near fall to take the 7-6 lead. Eddie Smith and Ippolito were neck and neck, with Ippolito leading 9-8 with seconds remaining, when Smith gained reversal points to take the match, 10-9.
- 106 lb: Andrew Ciraco lost to Kyle Rigney by pin at 1:10.
- 113 lb: Harrison Kelly defeated Andre Cornilius by pin at 3:34.
- 120 lb: David Vill defeated Kyle Robinson by pin at 1:15.
- 126 lb: Marcello Laygo lost to Jerry Lenert by pin at 2:26.