A new exhibit of award winning artworks by local artists age 60 and up is now on display at the Freeholders Gallery through August 29. Each of the 13 works received first place honors in the countywide Senior Art Exhibit held earlier this summer in the Atrium at Liberty Hall in Union Township.
“Each in their own unique way, these artists have contributed to an enriching, creative culture in the Union County community. On behalf of the Freeholder Board, I wish them all the best of luck in the upcoming statewide exhibit,” said Freeholder Chairman Sergio Granados.
The artworks on view at the Freeholders Gallery cover a wide variety of media and materials by professional and non-professional artists, including:
- Oil painting by Arlene Carallo of Roselle
- Pastel by Anne Castellano of Cranford
- Watercolor by Angelito L. David of Linden
- Watercolor by Lorenzo Ferreiro of Fanwood
- Photography by Mary Gulmi of Hillside
- Acrylic painting by Mel Holston of Plainfield
- Pen-and-ink drawing by Karen Kelly of Scotch Plains
- Photography by Al Kruper of Fanwood
- Craft (stained glass) by John Leavy of Cranford
- Acrylic painting by Florence McGlohn of Roselle
- Mixed media by Lynn Shereshewsky of Westfield
- Pastel by Barbara Uhr of Westfield
- Oil painting by Priscilla Young of Cranford
Two three-dimensional works also received first place awards but are not included in the Freeholders Gallery due to space limitations. They were created by Ellen Pease of Cranford in the craft category and Robin Benito of Westfield in the sculpture category.
All together, the 15 first place winners were selected from 140 entries by a panel of three judges, Frank Falotico, Alina Marin-Bliach and Barbara Wallace, who are professional artists.
In September, the artworks will travel to the 52nd annual New Jersey Senior Citizens Art Show at Meadow Lakes in East Windsor, where they will be on display from September 21 to October 25.
The public is invited to visit the Freeholders Gallery any time during regular business hours, weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on the 6th floor of the Union County Administration Building, 10 Elizabethtown Plaza in Elizabeth.
For more information about the Freeholders Gallery and other programs and services related to the arts and history in Union County, contact the Union County Office of Cultural & Heritage Affairs, a division of the Department of Parks and Recreation, at email@example.com or 908-558-2550 (NJ Relay users dial 711), or visit online at ucnj.org/parks-recreation.
Connect with Union County on social media.