BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ -- Plainfield Avenue, between Park Avenue and Springfield Avenue as well as Sherman Avenue, and portions of Springfield Avenue were closed to traffic this afternoon, as organizers and volunteers prepare for Winter Walk, which began at 1 p.m. and will run until 4 p.m.
Local and county police officers set up barriers, detour signs and electronic signs at various points along the routes at about 11 a.m., causing drivers some inconvenience as they navigated the route. The time of the event was changed because of the predicted rain this evening.
At 4 p.m. the community will gather at Peppertown Park for the arrival of Santa Claus in the fire truck to light the Township's tree followed by fireworks generously donated by Garden State Fireworks (weather permitting).
*Road closures began at 11 a.m. and will end at 5:30 p.m.
- Springfield Avenue will be closed between Snyder and Plainfield avenues.
- Sherman Avenue will be closed between Lone Pine Drive and Plainfield Avenue.
- Summit Avenue will be closed between Sherman and Springfield avenues.
- The front portion of the Post Office - Dunkin Donuts Parking Lot will be closed -- the back portion (Stop & Shop) will remain open, as well CVS parking lot. ALL OTHER PARKING LOTS WITHIN THE 'CLOSURE AREA' WILL BE CLOSED.
- Roads will reopen at 5:30 p.m. to thru traffic.
Note: The businesses, organizations, entertainment, public safety, DPW and volunteers had to make many adjustments to their schedules due to this time change. Business owners are also dealing with their customers' inconvenience due to the road closures on Saturday in order to accommodate the festivities and community enjoyment of the Winter Walk. Make sure to keep it local and patronize our local businesses during the holiday season and all year long.