BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ -
Beginning Friday, March 13, Township offices in Berkeley Heights will be closed to the public. In addition, the Berkeley Heights Public Library will be closed, as will the Recreation Department; all recreation programs are canceled after Friday, March 13, until further notice.
In addition, Mayor Angie Devanney, in coordination with our Township public safety and emergency management officials, today issued a directive banning public events or meetings with more than 50 people. This is a protective measure being put into place by the Administration to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Additional guidance on closures will be given on a week-by-week basis.
“These actions are being taken out of an abundance of caution, as we attempt to learn more about COVID-19, including the incubation period, how long the virus can live on a surface or in the air, and whether there are any other presumptive cases in our near vicinity,” said Mayor Devanney. “Not only will this help protect our residents from the spread of any flu or virus, but it will also protect our Township employees who will continue to work, so that they can keep government operations going.”
Meanwhile, residents are urged to use good judgment and limit public gatherings, maintain personal hygiene and stay home if you feel sick. These efforts are to minimize any unnecessary contact with anyone who may have been exposed to COVID-19 or any other flu variation.
Logistics for Government Operations
During this closure to the public, please call the department in which you are trying to contact, or email them. Contact information can be found on our website at BerkeleyHeights.gov.
Clerk’s Office - Phone: (908) 464-2700 x 2220
- Parking permits – By next week, you will be able to submit your parking permit application online, and pay the fee online. Meanwhile, please pay by mail. We will mail you the parking permit. More information on this will be forthcoming next week.
- Fire inspections – By next week, you will be able to submit your fire inspection application and pay the fee online. More information on this will be forthcoming next week.
- Vital Statistics - All Vital Statistics requests are BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please call 908-464-2700 x 2114 or email our Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule.
- Cat/Dog license applications - find info and applications here
Finance - Phone: (908) 464-2700
With our newly implemented Edmunds module, taxpayers can now search for any property within Berkeley Heights by name, block, or lot; or conduct just a general search. You will be able to look at your payment history, make a payment, view tax rates, view current bill, project the interest on the closing date if you are closing on a house, and attorneys closing on properties will be able to generate a payment amount due as of a particular date. Click here for more.
Tax Collector - Phone: (908) 464-2700
You have the option to pay your taxes online. There are two methods of online payments; see here for more information.
Construction/Building Department – Please email or call the offices with your questions and send in what forms you can online. Beginning Friday, March 13, we will have a weatherproof box outside of the Building Department for residents to leave any necessary paperwork.
- Home inspections will continue. Please schedule them by calling or emailing the office email@example.com, 908-464-2700 ext. 2120. Please disclose to our office if anyone in your household is sick when scheduling an inspection.
- When inspectors come to your home, please tell them at the door if anyone in your household is sick, and maintain a 6-foot distance from the inspector.
- Berkeley Heights residents and contractors can do the following using the SDL Portal here http//sdl.town/sdlBrklyHghts (you must create an account):
- Schedule building inspections
- Search for information
- Access property history
- Share concerns
- Check permit status/updates
- View location-based content
- And much more...
Recreation – All recreation programs will be cancelled after Friday, March 13. This Friday’s programming will still be held.
Library – The Berkeley Heights Public Library will be closed until further notice beginning Friday, March 13. All programming has been canceled, as well.
Planning Board – Please email your plans/questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 908-464-2700, 2124.
Meanwhile, our Department of Public Works has made sanitizing public spaces a priority. They will conduct daily cleaning and sanitizing of the bathrooms at Columbia, Snyder and Memorial parks, paying close attention to handles or other items that may be constantly touched by others.